• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Jerome second hand

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
I purchased a Jerome lever escapement wall clock and it doesn't have a second bit.I looked at Merritts but not really sure of the hand size or the aperture diameter.
Were these fairly standard or unique to the movement/manufacturer?
Any help or guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
I purchased a Jerome lever escapement wall clock and it doesn't have a second bit.I looked at Merritts but not really sure of the hand size or the aperture diameter.
Were these fairly standard or unique to the movement/manufacturer?
Any help or guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bruce

tymfxr

NAWCC Member
May 13, 2005
Country
Region
Bruce, are you saying that the movement has a shaft extending out that would accomodate a second hand but there is no seconds dial on the main dial of the clock?

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Sorry Mike for the lack of complete information,the shaft is in place,second dial is there( 15,30,45,60) on the main dial pan but no second hand.I found a photo in Ly's book and the second bit is a lot "finer" than the ones for sale at Merritts.
Maybe someone out there has one they would sell me.
Bruce

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Bruce
Would it be possible to reshape the bought seconds hand with a file?

Aside - another interesting difference between the sides of the pond - "second hand" on this side means "used"

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Mike - it can mean either one over here :).

Bruce - the bigger concern is the size of the shaft the seconds hand goes on (That's the better way to say it, Mike):) You'll need to get one that will fit on it tightly.

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
It most assuredly will be "second hand",need an original one,a new one is way to small to file even if I got the proper fit......thanks for the help so far,I still hope to locate one from a junked movement or clock.
Bruce

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
The secret in filing these sorts of things is to clamp the hand very tightly between a couple of steel blocks with ground or milled edges.
Fiddly job, though.

It's funny that us Limeys say "seconds hand" but not "minutes hand" or "hours hand".

Such is life's rich tapestry!

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Thanks to all who looked for a spare Jerome second bit/second hand,but as luck would have it the clock arrived and I pulled the dial and reviewed the collected filth and pulled the movement and as I was also pulling the bell,there wedged behind the bell was the very delicate and fine original second hand,what luck!!
It is in the 1852-53 Jerome catalog,Octagon,T&S,Simple Calendar and Second Bit.The backboard is secured with hand made square head iron nails and has some faint writing in 19th century script form... J.H.Cofe and some other very faint writing.
The Rosewood veneer is a little rough but considering the age I can live with it.Used some Kotton Kleanser and it brightened right up.
It runs like a champ but it will be even better after cleaning and servicing.
Thanks to all once more,
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inlikeflynn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-