Jerome & Company 30-hour Steeple

hambyl

NAWCC Member
May 14, 2012
I recently acquired this Jerome & Co. Steeple and, not having many Jerome clocks, was wondering if anyone knew 1) whether this is likely the original Jerome movement, and 2) is the tablet is original or a replacement?

IMG_3112.jpg IMG_3113.jpg IMG_3114.jpg IMG_3115.jpg IMG_3116.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Jerome & Co. was a trade name used by the New Haven Clock Co. for many years. Your movement is a commonly found 30-hour New Haven movement and I would say it is correct and original. FWIW, the style of the escape wheel bridge indicates that the movement was made prior to 1870.
I also would believe the tablet is original, but I will let others better qualified opine on that.

hambyl

NAWCC Member
May 14, 2012
Jerome & Co. was a trade name used by the New Haven Clock Co. for many years. Your movement is a commonly found 30-hour New Haven movement and I would say it is correct and original. FWIW, the style of the escape wheel bridge indicates that the movement was made prior to 1870.
I also would believe the tablet is original, but I will let others better qualified opine on that.
Thanks much.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
What does it say at the bottom of the tablet? I can't quite make it out. Thanks!

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
What does it say at the bottom of the tablet? I can't quite make it out. Thanks!
It says "Benham, Steam Printer, New Haven." That would be John Benham, whom Spitteler and Bailey put in New Haven ca. 1840 to 1856. I suppose he could have been in the label printing business later than 1856. For Instance, consider this earlier post by Mike Bailey. I don't offhand know if he has additional information on Benham's dates.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Thanks for the additional printer label info, but I was asking about the title at the bottom, center of the tablet in the green area. Not sure if it's my eyes or computer resolution, but I can't make it out. I don't recall seeing this image used before, but the style of the engraving is age appropriate. I thought we might be able to check Paul Henion's Bulletin article to see if he has it listed. Thanks!

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Thanks for the additional printer label info, but I was asking about the title at the bottom, center of the tablet in the green area. Not sure if it's my eyes or computer resolution, but I can't make it out. I don't recall seeing this image used before, but the style of the engraving is age appropriate. I thought we might be able to check Paul Henion's Bulletin article to see if he has it listed. Thanks!
Ah, you wrote "tablet" and I read "label." That's my dyslexia kicking in, but at least they have some of the same letters. As for the tablet, I did not see any writing but thought what you are referring to was a pool with reflections. I can't say for sure, of course.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Hah! I was wrong again. Look at the back of the tablet. It says “St. Paul’s Cathedral.”

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
I have a slightly later but similar 30 hour New Haven with a Greek Parthenon scene and wonder if these clocks were made specifically for export. Mine was sold by Thomas B. Spike (Jeweler), who operated a shop from the late 1860s to at least 1892, Halifax Nova Scotia (Canada).
RS4 New Haven Gothic Steeple_9.jpg RS New Haven Gothic Steeple_1.jpg

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I have a slightly later but similar 30 hour New Haven with a Greek Parthenon scene and wonder if these clocks were made specifically for export. Mine was sold by Thomas B. Spike (Jeweler), who operated a shop from the late 1860s to at least 1892, Halifax Nova Scotia (Canada).
View attachment 653991 View attachment 653992
Something doesn’t compute?

The bit of the label I see looks like a Terry & Andrews. A nearly identical one was used in the earliest Ansonia clocks.

The use of a foreign scene is not an indicator that clocks were exported, though they were.

RM

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
Something doesn’t compute?

The bit of the label I see looks like a Terry & Andrews. A nearly identical one was used in the earliest Ansonia clocks.

The use of a foreign scene is not an indicator that clocks were exported, though they were.

RM
The overpasted blue label is the retailer
RS New Haven Gothic Steeple_2.jpg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
It says “St. Paul’s Cathedral.”
Paul Henion reported this image in his article in the January/February 2020 Bulletin (page 75). It's difficult to tell from photos, but it looks as though the tablet may have been touched up at some point. Having said that, it looks to me like a nice addition to a collection. Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller