• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

American Please ID this Clock Jerome co ogee clock (help year of manufacture)

is this clock made before 1865

• yes ( the clock is manufactured before 1865 )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CollectorOfSpecialClocks

Feb 7, 2021
Country
hello

i got a jerome clock and i want to know of its a one before 1865 or later and which year it manufactured i want know this because a have a civil war room where i want to put it if its from the right time period ( these are the only pictures i have from the clock and i cant take more because the clock is on a far place )

help would be appreciated

$_86 (1).jpeg $_86.jpeg

CollectorOfSpecialClocks

Feb 7, 2021
Country
These pictures are not very useful, unfortunately. When you get the clock in hand, post pictures of the movement and label. They might provide clues. So far as labels are concerned, have a look at this website for a possible match.

New Haven Clock Co. Labels - A Chauncey Jerome Clock Collector
Best Steven

thank you very much seeing the label the clock is made in 1880 or later unfortunately. do you know a site where the sell cheap ogee clocks that are made before 1865

greetings, COSC

Type-GOD-41.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
thank you very much seeing the label the clock is made in 1880 or later unfortunately. do you know a site where the sell cheap ogee clocks that are made before 1865
A better date might be forthcoming upon seeing (1) the movement, and (2) a better picture of the label. The label might carry a printer's name, possibly allowing for a more accurate dating.

Do I know a site such as you mention? Try eBay. There may be many such ogees, if you know what to look for.

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
The label is definitely from no earlier than the 1880s. As Steven suggested, eBay is a good source for ogees. However, you have to know exactly what to look for. Ogees with brass movements were made from around 1840 through the end of the 19th century (possibly later). Most major manufacturers made ogees, and dating them can sometimes be a challenge.
Mike

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
You should be on the look out for a Seth Thomas OG or Column and Cornice (triple decker) as those are a lot easier to date by looking at the label because 1865 (the end of the Civil War) was the cut-off for when the town the company was located in went from being called Plymouth Hollow, to Thomaston), and if you find a clock that says on both the movement and the label Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut then you most certainly have a Civil War Era (or pre-Civil War era) clock, if the movement says Thomaston, Conn. and the label says Plymouth Hollow, then the clock was between 1865-1870, and if both movement and label says Thomaston then its 1870 and later.

I actually got from my great-father's house when we were cleaning it out a Seth Thomas Column and Cornice clock from 1858 that when I got it, it was in pieces and I was able to piece it back together and replace the missing pendulum bob, winding crank, and weights and its currently sitting on a shelf on the wall in my office running and keeping good time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-