Jerome & Co. - Brewster & Co.

Discussion in 'Highlights' started by Steven Thornberry, May 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I recently acquired a small cottage timepiece (9 ¾" high). It has a Jerome & Co. label and a New Haven movement that winds at 3 o'clock. The movement is mounted to the case by a metal bracket attached to the back plate.

Cottage 3 o'clock.JPG Cottage 3 o'clock mvmt front.JPG Cottage 3 o'clock mvmt back.JPG

The EW bridge is of the earlier, head and shoulders type. Sometime in the 1870's, New Haven started using a tapered EW bridge, such as this one:

Tapered.jpg

Lee Smith's December 1998 Bulletin article, "Cottage Timepieces and Their Movements," shows the same movement in a Jerome & Co. steeple clock (p. 718, fig. 25). The label in the steeple clock appears to contain the same wording that is on the label in my cottage clock.

Smith's article also shows the same cottage clock case on p. 718, fig. 24. Smith identifies the clock as a Brewster & Co. timepiece that contains a movement identical to that in figure 25. That timepiece has a label stating "Brewster & Co., Manufacturers of Eight and One Day BRASS CLOCKS, Time Pieces, and Marine Clocks, Bristol, Conn. USA." This is the same language that is on the label in my clock, except, of course, for the manufacturer and the location.

Per Spittlers' and Bailey's Clockmakers and Watchmakers of America, Brewster & Co. was in business 1855-1860, and the name may have been used for English export clocks, similar to the use of Jerome & Co. originally. So, perhaps my Jerome & Co. timepiece can be dated ca. 1860.
    (BTW, Brewster & Co. should not be confused either with the first E.C. Brewster & Co., 1840-43; the second E.C. Brewster & Co., ca. 1860/61; or with the later Brewster & Co. of Middlebury, VT, ca. 1875.)

We have also seen this cottage clock case before on the message board in a thread started by Daniel Harlow (drharlow55). It had the same label as in mine, but a different movement, a time and alarm movement. The movement shown in Daniel's clock is the same as the movement in a clock that I posted some time ago in the mini-cottage clock thread (see pictures below). Relying on what I now believe to be a misidentification by Lee Smith in the article mentioned above, I stated that the clock and movement were by the Union Clock Co. of Germany. After some discussion in the mini-cottage clock thread and bit of further looking around, I discovered that the movement is apparently by New Haven.

Cottage.JPG Cottage Mvmt Back.JPG Cottage Mvmt Front.JPG

The movement has a (for New Haven) peculiarly shaped EW bridge, which I have dubbed the "Swan" EW bridge. This movement is mounted to the case by iron brackets attached to the back plate, as was the movement in the cottage timepiece that started this thread. Different style of bracket on this clock, however - a double bracket, in fact.

But it's not over. I came across a second example of the clock case shown just above, even with the same glass design. It has yet a different New Haven movement, winding at 11 o'clock, and an outboard alarm. And whaddya know, yet another mounting bracket, different from the other two. The movement has the earlier, "head and shoulders" EW bridge.
    Cottage No. 2.JPG Cottage No. 2 Mvmt Front.JPG Cottage No. 2 Mvmt back.JPG

The same "11 o'clock" movement, but without the alarm fixin's, was posted a few years ago in a thread started by Richard Wright (Richard T.). It was found in a Brewster & Co. steeple clock, with a label (so far as I can tell) tolerably like the one in the clock that started this journey.

So, here I am, back to Brewster & Co. It would have been nice to see the whole New Haven steeple clock case in fig. 25 of Lee Smith’s article.

Original Discussion