JEROME & CO 30 hour alarm HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by drharlow55, Feb 18, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. drharlow55

drharlow55 Registered User

Dec 19, 2012
    Pevensey, GREAT BRITAIN.
    Country Flag:
    Hello all.
    I have a 30 hour alarm clock which I presume was made by Jerome & Co.
    The movement is not marked at all. The case however retains the original label in very good condition. The clock works very well, actually it is my main alarm clock.
    I was just wondering if any of you possibly know how old this clock is.
    I have put some images on for you to look at.
    Many thanks.
    Daniel.

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I found no exact match in Tran Duy Ly's book on New Haven clocks, but it could be a variation of the Cottage Extra shown in Tran's book from the 1880 catalogue, but with a different base than is shown on yours. New Haven did use the OG-style base as on yours on other cottage clocks from about the same period.

The Cottage Extra is listed as 12/13" tall and could, of course, have been offered a few years either side of 1880.

3. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Just to add a little extra confusion to the mix, a very similar cottage clock case (no dimensions) is show on page 718 of A. Lee Smith's article "Cottage Timepieces and Their Movements" (NAWCC Bulletin of December 1998). It is said to have the same Jerome & Co. movement that is shown on the same page in another clock. That movement is the time-only version of yours (no alarm). The label in the cottage clock in Smith's article is said to be of Brewster & Co. of Bristol Connecticut. Brewster & Co. were in business 1855-60 per Spittlers and Bailey's Clockmakers and Watchmakers of America. I'm not saying your clock is necessarily as old as all that, but the similarities are interesting.

4. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    It's been a slow afternoon, so I will add a few other thoughts about your Jerome & Co. clock and the Brewster & Co. clock in A. Lee Smith's article.

The cases are strikingly similar, perhaps identical, save for the door knobs. Actually, I am not sure from the picture in Smith’s article that the door knob is still on the Brewster & Co. clock.

The dials appear to be alike, and the movements are, of course, the same, except for the alarm in the Jerome & Co. clock.
    The language on the labels is the same except for the name (Brewster & Co. v. Jerome & Co.) and their respective locations (Bristol, Conn. v. New Haven, Conn.).

The Brewster & Co. clock has only the hour hand remaining, but it may be original. The Jerome & Co. clock has mis-matched hands, which suggests that at least one is a replacement, possibly both. I suggest that certainly the hour hand is not original. We can,t make much from this, I think.

Spittlers and Bailey state that labels with the Brewster & Co. name are found on steeple, beehive, and English-style drop octagon clocks; the name was probably used for English export clocks. Similarly New Haven’s Jerome & Co. labels are closely associated with English export clocks.

And then there is Epaphroditus Peck, who is known to have had business connections with both Chauncey Jerome and E.C. Brewster (through Brewster’s son, Noah). Peck and Noah Brewster went to England to market clocks with the Brewster & Ingrahams label. Peck and Noah Brewster had a falling out, and the result was the dissolution of Brewster & Ingrahams. E.C. Brewster continued to manufacture clocks until 1860 or 1861. I have not seen Brewster directly connected with the Brewster & Co. name, but it seems a reasonable connection.

Peck later was in a partnership that purchased Jerome & Co. from Chauncey Jerome’s Jerome Manufacturing Co. in 1855. After the Jerome Manufacturing Co. went bankrupt, New Haven took over its operations and assumed the right to produce clocks under the Jerome & Co. New Haven, Conn. label.

So, what am I leading up to? Perhaps your Jerome & Co. clock is 20 years older than I originally thought. Possibly New Haven made the case as well as the movement, and they were then marketed under both labels, though not necessarily at the same time. Was there a connection between Brewster & Co. and Jerome & Co.? Not much seems to be known (at least to me) about Brewster & Co., not enough, at any rate to establish such a connection.

I hope others might have some thoughts and corrections to all this.

5. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #5 Steven Thornberry, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    I'm bringing this thread back up to correct some misinformation I posted in post # 3 above. I stated that page 718 of Lee Smith's article shows a "movement is the time-only version of [Daniel's]", which is shown in the first post. That is incorrect. They are two different movements. A closer look at Daniel's movement indicates that it is actually the same as shown on page 723 of Smith's article (fig.44). Smith ascribes the movement to the German Union Clock Co. A timepiece version without alarm is also show on p. 725 of Smith's article, fig. 54. The EW bridge is distinctive. A bit of discussion about this movement may be found in this thread on mini cottage clocks, posts 127-132.

Daniel's movement is the same as shown in post # 127 of the mini-cottage clock thread. Looking through Tran's New Haven book, I find what I believe is the same movement in a clock with a New Haven label (p. 301, fig 1190). See below. The peculiar shape of the EW bridge seems to be there in the picture in Tran, although the foot of the EW bridge is hidden behind the alarm disc. So, New Haven, it seems. I had actually forgotten about that particular movement, possibly because it is not so commonly found as other NH timepiece movements.

attachment.jpg