Jerome and Darrow Wood Works weight clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by iowaclock, May 11, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. iowaclock

iowaclock Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Picked this clock up recently at a local auction.

I would say early 1830s Jerome and Darrow Column and Splat based off the comparisons to antiqueclockspriceguide.

I got a good deal on it and it has some things I like. The stencil on it has a great patina. I really think its original but i dont know much about these clocks. there is missing veneer in the spots easily seen but the rest of the case is great. I am probably gonna leave the missing veneer areas as is. The contrast in color looks good.I'm a big fan of the dial and the splat. Im not positive if its right but saw both carved and non carved examples on antiqueclockspriceguide and there was another J and D with a carved basket of fruit splat.

I dont have any pictures on me but here is a link to the lot page

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7347693

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Very nice. I might suggest that you see if you can save some of the pictures from the auction site to your computer and upload them to the MB, instead of using the link to the auction site, which might eventually remove the pictures.

3. iowaclock

Jul 7, 2008
    Good call Steven.

heres some pictures

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

4. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The auction description says there is bird's-eye maple trim. Is that what you are thinking is missing (chimneys, top & bottom of columns)? It's unusual and very nice. Also nice is the stenciled area at the bottom of the mirror. The label says 8-day and the weights look like they're 8-day, but the movement looks like a typical 30-hour to me.

5. iowaclock

Jul 7, 2008
    the movement could very well be a 30 hour movement. This auction puts out choice clocks but come from a collection and could have a replacement movement/part here or there. I have not tried to see if it runs and wont until I educate myself on wood work clocks.

The weights are definitely 8 day and very heavy. The birds eye maple trim is exactly what I was referring to. I dont know if its original or not. I found one jerome and darrow on acpg.com with the top chimneys the same way. Hopefully ill get some home pictures of it. Something about the look of it screams it was made that way.