• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Jerome 8-Day Ogee - Interesting details, and questions

Chillspine

Oct 9, 2021
Country
My wife picked up this Jerome ogee 8-day "Albany" clock for me the other day (yes, I'm, a lucky dog!).
All artwork, finish, and hardware appears correct, including the door pull, the mostly-intact walnut veneer, and the apparently hand-stencil-painted center panel... which I am unable to find a match for online
I love the idea of 'rescuing' the badly-chipped painted-wood face! Not sure what that means, exactly, but I want to preserve what's left of it without destroying any value it may have - maybe just touching up a scan of it for use, then sealing the original in a non-hostile container. I love seeing the evidence of pen- and brush-strokes in the enamel!

That said, the clock has a couple of unusual features that I would like input/opinions on from you experts.
1) A triple glass-panel door - see pics
2) The movement appears complete (if worn), but the plate shape isn't exactly what is considered 'known standard'... according to other online sources, i.e., Mike Bailey's excellent site at Welcome - A Chauncey Jerome Clock Collector. The closest description I can find places this movement as Model 1.311 -- EXCEPT for the plate design, which has long vertical members which elevate the movement above the regular nearly-square layout.
The interior mounting points of the movement are clearly original, and are purpose-built to accommodate this taller movement.

So again; any insights/clues/guesses/wild theories are welcome! It's all part of the fun, right?

Many thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Chilly
Front view, sans face:
IMG_E0618[1].JPG
Maker label, inside:
IMG_0616[1].JPG
Hand-painted face:
IMG_E0619[1].JPG
Hand-lettered origin:
IMG_E0620[1].JPG
Center panel:
IMG_0622[1].JPG
Detail of lower panel:
IMG_0621[1].JPG
Movement:
IMG_0628[1].JPG

IMG_E0618[1].JPG IMG_0616[1].JPG IMG_E0619[1].JPG IMG_E0620[1].JPG IMG_0622[1].JPG IMG_0621[1].JPG IMG_0628[1].JPG

Last edited:

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
Chillspine,

I like these 8-day ogees with the narrow center glass. They're less common than the ones without the center glass. I think I've seen your version, but I'd have to plow through my photo archives to be certain.

Take another look at my website. The type 1.311 you refer to is a 30-hr movement; yours is an 8-day. I also have a page devoted to 8-day movements. Your movement is a type 1.141.

Mike

Chillspine

Oct 9, 2021
Country
Ooops! I derped. Thanks for putting me right, Mike!
I've also been looking for a replacement for a 30-hour movement for another clock; at the end of a long day, I had "30-hour" on the brain!
Yes, it's absolutely an 8-day, and nearly identical to the 1.141 on your page.

I'm really looking forward to cleaning her up and getting her running again.

Thanks again, sir!

Chilly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberthunigan1
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller