Jefferson Suspense Chain

SteveMc

NAWCC Member
Mar 12, 2009
New Mexico
Country
Region
I was given a Jefferson Suspense clock that runs fine, but gains time. I read on a collector's web site that I have the wrong chain. Timesavers no longer carries them. Does anyone know where I can get on?
Thanks
Steve

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I was given a Jefferson Suspense clock that runs fine, but gains time. I read on a collector's web site that I have the wrong chain. Timesavers no longer carries them. Does anyone know where I can get on?
Thanks
Steve
That may be the problem, but I'd more suspect the glass being loose. If you have a Timesavers catalog, near the back is a great tutorial on how the restore these. Yours is different only in that it has a chain drive. The inner gear must be tightly cemented to the glass with contact cement. If it's loose it will not keep time and might either gain or lose. No lubrication on this clock!

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Greetings all,

I had been trying to determine what a Jefferson Suspense clock was and finally decided that you were talking about a Jefferson Golden Hour Mystery Clock. I had just never heard it called a suspense clock before......:confused:

Best,

Richard T.

SteveMc

NAWCC Member
Mar 12, 2009
New Mexico
Country
Region
Thanks for the response! It is in fact called a "Jefferson Suspense Clock" and has a chain that hangs from the motor to drive a suspended circular plastic wheel to which the hands and gravity managed gears are attached.
Everything is properly attached and is not slipping, so I don't think it can be anything other than the chain. If anyone has an extra, I'll buy it!
Thanks
Steve

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Thanks for the response! It is in fact called a "Jefferson Suspense Clock" Steve
Thanks for the clarification...I now see that they are entirely different clocks made by the same company.:) I found that there are at least 8 different models made by Jefferson.

Best,

Richard T.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Oooops! You're going to get your wrist slapped for that, Jerry. Links to current auctions aren't allowed :)

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
The chain can't change the rate unless it is slipping or popping out
of the sprockets. It is just like a gear, n round balls in n round balls out.
It would be good to see a picture of the drive for your clock.
Actually I should correct that. If the chain was so far of that
the balls didn't hit the holes in the sprockets it could do bad
things.
Tinker Dwight

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hullah
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions