jefferson golden secret motor making noise

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by whatgoesaround, Feb 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,.

I started hearing a high pitched, rubbing sound coming from my golden secret. I have take the motor out and taken off the brass colored housing. I see no other way to progress further. Is there anything I can try? It sounds like the disc shaped part is perhaps rattling or rubbing. I have very little knowledge of how to fix this, obviously, and am hoping someone can instruct me. thanks in advance for any advice.

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are the pics of the golden secret motor. I doubt they are of any use, but I can not get in further unless I break where it was soldered. I don't think a regular soldering iron will have any effect, but I guess I need to figure out something. It still runs, however the noise clearly is telling me something is wrong.

2019-2-24 123.JPG 2019-2-24 124.JPG

4. davefr

davefr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Semi Retired Engr. Mgr - Currently Rebuilding Tele
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can use a sharp knife and gradually cut thru the solder seam and then gently separate the back plate from the motor. (that soft solder doesn't have much strength). When you reassemble, you can use a red Permatex gasket sealer or epoxy. Before you begin check the main flywheel for wobble. If there's any play, then that main motor bushing will need to be replaced. It's probably the most likely source of noise and wear since it's the highest RPM component of the gear train.

Good luck, except for Golden Hour those Jefferson motors are tough to find and a PIA to rebuild.

5. whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks so much for the advice. I had used a soldering iron on it and it melted right away, but it seemed to be sealed inspite of this, like a continuous piece. After all the attempts, it seemed to run the tiniest bit quieter, so I let it run over night and in the morning the sound was about gone. Since I really am not that good with electrics, I figured, "if it ain't broke . . ."

6. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    We electronics people use what is called Solder-Wick and something like a Weller soldering gun to remove solder. I have had that work for these motors.

I thought replacement motors were available from TimeSavers.

Jim

7. whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, James. I only see the golden hour, minute, and helm motors; no secret, unfortunately. It is running okay now, but it would be nice to know that they are available.