Jefferson Golden Hour Retaining Ring Removal

Discussion in 'Highlights' started by Berkshire Vet, May 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Berkshire Vet

Berkshire Vet Registered User

May 12, 2020
    Male
    Retired Engineer- Nuclear and Electrical
    Western Massachusetts Berkshire Mountains
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The drive ring and glass are all glued in from the original factory build, using a heat-cured adhesive. Separation of the drive ring and glass is the most common cause I see for the clocks not working.

The easiest method (I figured out after breaking too many face-plates) is to soak the entire ring in a glass dish (CAUTION: You must use glass containers ONLY for working with acetone) with acetone to cover the items completely. Give it a few hours and the face plate glass will fall right out almost effortlessly. Don't wait too long or the acetone will evaporate and you'll have to start over. The acetone left behind becomes 'goopy' and can be easily scraped off the metal and glass while it's still wet. Don't let the ring or glass dry before you wash it off. When the acetone dries, the old adhesive re-adheres on your parts a bit. Finish up by washing both parts with some warm soapy water and a scotch brite dish sponge. Carefully inspect the drive ring to ensure none of the old adhesive gets stuck between the gear teeth. Any remaining bits of adhesive can be removed with an Exacto knife. I make another pass around the drive-ring and glass with a Q-Tip soaked in acetone or alcohol. Any remaining bits of dried adhesive can interfere when you re-bond the glass, so the parts should be scrupulously cleaned first. Many owners attempting a home repair of their clock will try to re-bond these parts with super-glue or similar. The acetone will dissolve all of these as well as the original factory adhesive.

Jefferson Golden Hour Retaining Ring Removal