Jefferson Golden Hour Motor Swap???

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by shirelets, Dec 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. shirelets

shirelets New Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Hi from across the pond in the UK.

Recently acquired a Golden Hour for the grand sum of £25, fully dismantled and serviced it from info on the web, starting my search via the NAWCC forum.

Has an original 110V 60 cycles motor. I fitted a trial and error 2k7 resistor in series to drop UK 240V to 110V, but of course the 60 Hz v. 50 Hz synchronous frequency results in a bit of a time keeping discrepancy!

Know I can source correct motor or an electronic voltage and frequency converter from eg Mikes's Clock Clinic, but costly especially with shipping to the UK, pretty much more than clock is worth.

So wondering if anyone has a functional 240V / 50 Hz Golden Hour motor/gearbox they don't want, that I could maybe swap for my 110V 60 Hz one? Though don't know if sensible cost shipping is available, maybe wait until someone from USA coming to the UK or vice versa so can 'local' mail just within the same country.

2. Karl Thies

Karl Thies Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Queens, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can buy a 220-240 volt 50 cycle new Jefferson Golden Hour motor from Timesavers.com. They sell for $50 and I do not know what the postage would be. For me I don't value a clock for its resale value, but for how much I like it.

3. shirelets

shirelets New Member

Jul 15, 2010
    HI and thanks, yes, timesavers quoted me yesterday.
    Mail to the UK is actually reasonable, delivered comes to about 70$ or £60 of our old fashioned pounds! So unless someone comes back with a swap option, I will order one soon.
    Really like the Golden Hour, aesthetic even though by no means an antique in the normal sense.
    Within reason agree about value, but not many folks willingly choose to spend vastly more than a clock (or anything else in general) is worth to restore it!