Jeff Hamilton's Clockmaker's Apprentice CD Free Version

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region
Hey Folks,

I like to use Jeff Hamilton's Clockmaker's Apprentice CD Free Version to calculate mainspring lengths. My version got corrupt, so I'm looking for some one who has this program and could share it with me. I was hoping I could find this program in the library. Maybe I'm not searching correctly. Thanks!

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Can't help with the software, but wonder as modern steel becomes so much stronger, if older equations become less accurate. The older, the lesser, sort of. Maybe the calculators I have used were older or springs were newer? Whichever formula I use, I seem to wish I could have bought a longer thinner contemporary spring. And, then there is the NOS, which is a throwback to a prior era of calculation.

Good luck!

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
His website says he is retired, yet still a member of NAWCC, so you might reach him that way or his personal email: jeff at thatdomainofhis dot com.

Perhaps his calculation includes a strength reduction to compensate for modern alloys and treatments? Wild pendulum arcs and caffeinated strikings are so annoying...So, I would be curious, as I just guess :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Click on the beat book icon, and it will take you to Jeff's email (different than the one mentioned above) ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
April
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-