• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Jean Finger Hermetic Wristwatch - Movement identification

artax69

Nov 11, 2021
Country
Hi,I bought this Hermetic Jean Finger but I can't figure out which movement it fits. Can anyone help me identify it? Jean Finger Hermetic-2.jpg Jean Finger Hermetic-6.jpg

mosesgodfrey

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2017
Country
Region
Always have liked this case design—congrats on the acquisition!

I’m not familiar with this movement. Hoping others may be. I cannot make out the text below Swiss—assuming “Swiss made”?

For many unmarked movements, the best hopes for ID are under the dial: setting works and perhaps markings. Any chance of seeing them?

artax69

Nov 11, 2021
Country
hi, thanks for the tip. I have opened the the movement from the dial side but only found the AS mark without any indication of the reference.

artax69

Nov 11, 2021
Country
Thanks for the tip on the left hand screw. I measured the movement and it's a 10,5''', so definitely not an A.S. 137. Before I measured it I thought it was that movement too.

artax69

Nov 11, 2021
Country
unfortunately I don't have any photos because I took it apart with my watchmaker and didn't think about photos

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
My Paulsons Master Key shows the movement to be a 12L AS 469 page 130. It is identical right down to the slightly curved bridges. You will not find it in the movement website, I looked.

artax69

Nov 11, 2021
Country
Wow! Thanks, I didn't know this movement and unfortunately I don't have that catalog ...

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
I don't have that catalog either.
It is a rare item probably because it cost $10US in 1950. Not many around. Watch Ebay and copies come up occasionally. I've seen prices from $100 to $50. It is worth whatever you pay, I use it all the time. There are specific categories by brand, by configuration etc. Sections on Chronographs. Make sure you get the original and not some brandX reproduction.
D

artax69

Nov 11, 2021
Country
Thanks for the info. I'll try to find that catalog. It would be great if you could post the movement photo on the Paulson.

artax69

Nov 11, 2021
Country
Thank you. I see that the only real difference is the position of the ratchet cric. In the 469 it is between the racket wheel and the crown wheel, in mine it is beyond the racket wheel.

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
I hadn't noticed that. When I'm looking I always look for something that stands out like on this one it is the bars and their slight bend. Sometimes the photo will show indistinct things that look like dark blobs. With these ebauche there are so many that are close and brand isn't much help as these companies did a lot of work for each other. Heuer assembled Rolex Daytonas Etc. There were about 19 ebauche makers and I'd bet the house that they bought stole and traded among themselves otherwise how are so many movements so close yet a different brand?
Good luck with that really cool watch. Marvin made a bunch of Hermetic watches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberthunigan1
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller