• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Jauch Wall Clocks - a pictorial guide

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Another reference guide, now dedicated to the 1950's to 1970's Jauch wall clocks.

These clocks were built after the second world war, so whether these will classify as 'antique' is up to you. They are still nice clocks with wonderful chimes.

Jauch was more versatile when it came to what chimes the clock would play. I have seen Jauch wall clocks that play any of the following:

Westminster
Whittington
St. Michaels
Schubert's Ave Maria
Ave Maria de Lourdes
Guadalupano
The national anthem of Columbia

Some Jauch clocks carry the 'Linden' name.

Here, I will show a few case styles and the difference between the mechanism types. Pictures of these clocks are not easy to get.

I will also share a few videos I've found to make up for the lack of pictures.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGknatFe6pk]YouTube - Jauch West[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s83jVtoJaSk"]YouTube - JAUCH TRIPLE CHIME WALL CLOCK WHITTINGTON[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDaNAgB017E"]YouTube - JAUCH TRIPLE CHIME WALL CLOCK ST MICHAEL'S[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRWZncPrgfs&feature=related"]YouTube - ML 35119305[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxKKqV2nHVQ"]YouTube - Jawaco German Wall Clock[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8MB5CRGBE"]YouTube - Wanduhr Film von Miguel Carrilho schön by Bombaja Miguel[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPbl3MAwgpc"]YouTube - CARRILHÃO LINDEN AVE MARIA DE LOURDES SDC11066.AVI[/ame]

Hope this guide was helpful. 79648.jpg 79649.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat L.

NAWCC Member
Jul 28, 2003
Country
Region
Hello Chime Clock Fan,
Your guide came just in time for me. I had been looking for a clock with Ave Maria chimes and bought one on ebay last week (auction i.d. 270680103723). The clock came with the Ave Maria chime, but it was the Lourdes/Liszt version, and I had wanted the Schubert version. Didn't know there was more than one version until a few days ago. The clock also had another chime that was not identified, but your guide led me to realize that it is the anthem of Colombia. So another mystery is solved. But why would a clock purchased in Germany (according to the original owner) have this chime? Anyway, the clock looks to be identical to the one in your picture (2nd from left) and has the name "President" on the dial. I believe the movement is Jauch, but it isn't marked. The movement has 10 hammers on the chime side and two of the rods are the exact same length, which I've read is necessary for Ave Maria chime. The hour strike side has 4 hammers. Attached is a picture of the movement. Let me know if you want any other pictures of the movement or clock. Thanks for posting this guide. 79674.jpg

Last edited:

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Hello,

I would think these clocks with the Columbia Anthem were made for export, as were the clocks with Guadalupano. Regardless, a few could have been sold in Germany for something different.

I have been looking for a Schubert's chimer myself. These use 11 hammers and 11 rods.

I would like to see a picture of the chime rods and entire case of your clock.

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
CCF
Enjoyed the post and the links. I have one of the clocks you have pictured--next to last photo. It has a great sound! I think the case is Ash wood.
Happy New Year!:Party:

Jay

Pat L.

NAWCC Member
Jul 28, 2003
Country
Region
Chime Clock Fan,
Here are a few more pictures of the clock with Ave Maria (Liszt version) and Colombian Anthem chimes. Let me know if you want any more pictures or information about this clock. And thanks again for posting this guide. 79802.jpg 79803.jpg 79804.jpg 79805.jpg

Reactions: Dave T

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Thanks for the photos. Everything seems to be in perfect condition. The chime block your clock uses is what many of these Jauch clocks were built with. Earlier ones used a different design. 79835.jpg

Last edited:

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
To me, the most beautiful chime is Shubert's Ave Maria. Here is a mantel with a Jauch 1960's movement. It was posted by SrWilson who used to post on this board, but hasn't in a long time. I think he was in the UK.

If I could only have 1 more clock, it would be one like this one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p04pPdEtOfA&feature=related]Shubert's Ave[/ame]

Hope you have a great new year,

Missy

]
Missy

Scottie, looks like I didn't do this right. Can you fix it please. Thanks

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
That one he has a Wuersch brand case. It had a very nice sound, especially for a smaller clock. Here is the older audio recording of it.

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce2/srwilson3s/ave_maria_clock.WMA To save, Right click and save target as. To just listen - LEFT click.

All of these videos are hosted on Youtube. My main problem would be if any user decides to remove their videos. What would be nice is if we would be able to keep track of said chimes in our own database. Then we would have no problem.

I do not think Jauch made any of their own clocks from mid 70's onwards. By then it was all exports to companies like Gazo and Emperor.

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
Thanks Scottie. I can't open it, but maybe others can. I admit I'm computer stupid.

ccf, you have come a long way since you first started posting. You have certainly done your homework and gained a good knowledge of this type of clock. I know one day you will have a houseful of them.

I'm beginning to believe you were spoofing us all that time. ;)

Missy

Got it now Scottie! You're so smart. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Try it now, MISSY. I may have had my keyboard innit.
Also MISSY. Couldja please send me the URL link to that vid?
mclkwrx@aol.com
Thanks!
Yeah! That worked. Couldn't figger exackly what part of the URL in the failed attempt, to keep.

Last edited:

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Missy;518393 said:
ccf, you have come a long way since you first started posting. You have certainly done your homework and gained a good knowledge of this type of clock. I know one day you will have a houseful of them.

I'm beginning to believe you were spoofing us all that time. ;)

Missy
Thanks. It is probably my favorite type of clock. Until I began researching them, I was not aware Jauch had built them with all of the different chimes. I will be posting other guides about clocks from a few other companies within the following weeks.

Pat L.

NAWCC Member
Jul 28, 2003
Country
Region
Chime Clock Fan:
About my Ave Maria/Columbia Anthem clock that was shown in the pictures in post #5.
Do you think my clock was made by Jauch completely? Or did they just make the movement? The name “Jauch” is not on the case or movement.
This clock is marked “President” on the dial. Have you seen this name before and do you know anything about this company, or was it a trade name of Jauch?
Do you have any information about the Colombia Anthem chime? Do you know the reason that Jauch decided to make this chime? What about the "Guadalupano" chime?
Do you know if Jauch is still in business? Or were they bought out or merged with another company? It's very interesting that Jauch made these clocks and/or movements.
Thanks again,
Pat L.

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
I would think it is a complete Jauch clock, as the case looks the same as other clocks they produced.
No idea about the 'President' name, my guess would be the name was for retail or the model name, but I cannot be sure of this. I seen the name 'Kern' on another Jauch clock on here.
They probably used the chime for regional marketing, although it could've been popular elsewhere from Columbia as well. Same with Guadalupano chimes for Mexico.
Jauch went out of business by the early 1980's. It is a shame, as I think they had the most variety, in terms of chimes and mechanism designs.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I agree about the Jauch clocks were interesting.I have only one that is on my wall its a newer one i think from 1970,s.

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Yes... The "Guadalupano" clock was a French ODO clock. Mind you, every other clock in this topic is a Jauch.

I would love to see factory reference to how many songs or tunes you could have on a Jauch clock. I'm sure the number would be astounding compared to other makers.

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region
I guess that I am a little late for this party, but I thought I would reopen this thread with a pic or two of my latest acquisition. It is a single chime Westminster Jauch wall clock.
I can find no examples of Jauch clock cases that are wider at the rear than in the front, as is the case with this one.

259472.jpg 259473.jpg
P.S. I know the hands don't match. It came with only an hour hand....I had to improvise.
Ron

Reactions: Calvin H. Huynh

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Thanks for the photos of your clock - the somewhat exaggerated case is reminiscent of what was more desirable in the postwar Latin American market between 1950 and 1970. Jauch had some unusual styles to accommodate what certain foreign markets wanted.

Despite some wear on the dial, your clock looks very good for its age. The carved ornament above the dial is quite nice.

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region
I'm chuckling chimeclockfan,
Is "somewhat exaggerated case" a nice way of saying gaudy??

The case may be a bit exaggerated as you say, but I wonder if that isn't part of the reason why it has such a deep sonorous tone, and the sound continues to reverberate for a few of seconds after chiming.
Ron

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
No I don't think it's gaudy - I think it's one of the nicer box regulator variations out there. o:)

This particular style has no official name although they turn up frequently in Latin America from a variety of makers including Jauch, Junghans, Silco, and Odo. Many of these have neo-Colonial broken arch tops, so finding such a clock with a solid crown is less common.

Larger cases tend to give a deeper tone and this was one of the primary selling points of these clocks. When the cases shrunk during the 1980s, the chime tone quality declined as a result.

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region
Thank you for the info chimeclockfan.
Do you have any idea of the approximate age on these clocks or do you need info from the movement to be able to say?

I haven't had time to pull the movement yet, but plan to do so in a couple of weeks. I was unable to remove the dial to get a look at the front of the movement......evidently it comes out of the case as one piece.

When I lived in Guatemala I was surprised how many German families lived in Central America. Many owned some of the finest coffee fincas & brewerys in the country. I am sure that they enjoyed having German clocks in their homes.

I really do like this one, especially the fine workmanship on the case, the chimes, and the beveled glass.
I would say that it is a keeper to add to our humble collection.
Ron

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
I believe this one was made between 1950-1960 - a photo of the movement and gong rod assembly would help.

They were very good quality clocks, well designed and made to last. The last ones were built during the mid 1980s.

Carmen

New User
Apr 20, 2020
Country
Hello, my dad has a Jauch German Westminister wall clock. picture attached. it is geting stuck on either the 20th minute or the 10th minute. anyone can help identify the posible fault or problem? also not sure on the year of built of this clock.thanks.

2020-04-20 16.28.12.jpg

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
This looks like a 1950's model going by the case and dial aesthetics. The movement may have a date signature on the back plate. It sounds like something is jamming as the clock prepares to go into warning so this will require removal of the movement to see what's going on. If the clock has not been cleaned and serviced in a while then it would be beneficial to do so. The way the Jauch movements works is summarized in this guide:

Chime Clock Basics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigDon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-