Jauch movement identification and help

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by colonelmustard, Mar 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. colonelmustard

colonelmustard Registered User

Mar 17, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Good evening from a longtime lurker. I was hoping someone on this board could help me identify the clock that was used with this movement. It is clearly marked "Erhard Jauch Uhrenfabrik Germany" and also the number “3960"

I bought it just because it intrigued me and I thought maybe I could complete a clock case that my grandpa had built years ago.

This works great according to my metronome. The large wheel appears to make one full rotation every 24 hours. There is also a lever at the bottom that when you move it forward and back, it moves the arm holding the little nib at the top..

Anyway, probably is not the movement I had hoped for but would love any information you could provide me with.

Thanks much.

20180317_184052.jpg 20180317_184118.jpg

2. chronologiker

chronologiker Registered User

Jun 28, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Very interesting!

What does the back look like? And can you show us more photos? Thank you!

Chronologiker

3. colonelmustard

Mar 17, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the reply. This isn't very big. About 4 x 2.5 inches. I have attached a few more pics.

20180319_085559.jpg 20180319_085616.jpg 20180319_085626.jpg 20180319_085706.jpg 20180319_085717.jpg

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks just like a clock used in a fish breeding center to automatically feed fish.

5. colonelmustard

Mar 17, 2018
    Country Flag:
    I was thinking some kind of timer as well. Maybe an old kitchen timer. Definitely is accurate and very well made.

6. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are you sure the large wheel only goes around one time in 24 hours?
    If it ever had a dial and hands, it would likely be a military operations clock of some kind.
    Typically used to sync regionally/globally dispersed units to Zulu or GMT time.

It could very easily be part of a time lock or other switching mechanism that cycles once per day.

7. colonelmustard

Mar 17, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Hmmm, that is an interesting thought. Yes I am sure it goes around only once. I kept an eye on it even yesterday to make sure of that. (small bit of dirt on the wheel that I could track) The metal nib on the arm is another interesting item. It does not move on its own so is not a recording feature (temperature or humidity).

8. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just noticed the electrical contact.
    I'll go with a control mechanism that uses a paper disk (Like a player piano roll) to ground a wire on some other device. Could you get a better pic of the contact and the post that supports it.

9. colonelmustard

Mar 17, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Sure, I don't see it on there...can you describe where I might find it in the pics? Thanks so much for the help

10. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe it's the part you said doesn't move.
    I'm pretty sure this is what it does because I can see where the paper protected the brass plate that the nib is resting on.
    The contact is that spring-loaded arm at the 12 to 1 o'clock position in your first picture.
    The part of it at 12 o;'clock makes electrical contact with a large plate used to support the disc as it rotates. holes in the disc allow the contact to touch the plate, completing a circuit. It could be a switch for a hot line, if there are two places to make an electrical connection, but the device would probably need to be fully insulated from whatever case it was in. More likely, the movement is part of a larger metal structure and is electrically connected to it. In this case, the ground wire for a motor, solenoid, light or some other electrical device should attach to the contact in a way that insulates the wire from the movement except through the pip at 12 o'clock. Jauch had patents for something like this with a daily and weekly switchable feature. I was unable to find any patent pics for it, though.

11. colonelmustard

Mar 17, 2018
    Country Flag:
    That is very interesting. Clearly not what I needed for grandpa's clock case. :) Might be able to make a 24 hour clock out of it...with one hand or something. I meant to mention, that pushing the lever forward also pushes forward the gear that is mounted under the nib, as well as the nib. Thank you again

20180319_172158.jpg 20180319_172218.jpg 20180319_172343.jpg

12. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not exactly what I was envisioning.
    There doesn't appear to be any electrical disconnection between the plate and the contact, through the post the contact is mounted on.
    And that lever at the bottom of the post sure would seem to imply movement of the contact via some kind of cam on the center wheel.
    What happens when you slide the lever? Could this be the clock I saw in the patent that is either one day or one week per rotation?
    It seems obvious that some disc goes on the center arbor to be driven by it.

13. colonelmustard

Mar 17, 2018
    Country Flag:
    1 full rotation of the center wheel per day. Very little winding necessary, I should mention. Not much happens when push the lever forward. Moves the arm with the nib and the gear directly below it, forward. As you can see in these photos, one is when the lever is pushed forward and the other is when it is released. It does not stay in the forward position by itself.

20180319_184505.jpg 20180319_184509.jpg 20180319_185018.jpg