Jauch 77 Weights

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ticktock, Jan 15, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    What are the weights for the Jauch 77 Grandmother for Time, Strike, and Chime?

thanks

tick

2. The Tick Doc

The Tick Doc Registered User

Dec 30, 2007
    full time clock repair
    South east USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The last one I worked on all 3 weighs were the same at 7lbs and 4oz. I wedighed them all trying to find the heavyest to place on the chime side. Could not find it they were all the same. Hope this helps...........TTD

3. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Sure did help Tick Doc. I need to purchase a weight scale but it did feel like all three weights were the same and that is why I posted this question. Weird that all 3 trains are the same. Thanks.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pretty common with Jauch GF's. It would sure make things simpler if all of them were like that :D

5. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like power consideration from a marketing perspective for many clocks: I suspect weights were made equal to the heaviest one needed so customer wouldn't encounter problems from removing and reinstalling weights.

6. tlw1344

tlw1344 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Central Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought an old kitchen scale from a junk store for $3 and it work just fine. If you replace the Jauch 77 movement with a 451-050 94 cm, the weights are different that the Jauch 77.

7. mfraser

mfraser Registered User

Watch out, some Jauch 77s had 5.4 lb weights on one or more chains. As the clock gradually wears, this may not be enough. Especially if a butcher(ess) did some novice bushing work.

8. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    As an alternative to a bathroom scale, especially for those of us with a small shop, consider a hanging scale like those used to weight fish. I just hand my weight on it, then when not in use it is out of the way. Weight limits on these small scales makes them inappropriate for the large (30 pound) weights found on some old English clocks.

9. Jacob22

Jacob22 Newbie

Feb 25, 2014
    Some time you see difference in measurement due to adjustment or placement of that scale. So you must place your scale proper for getting accurate measurement. But in some scale you have difference in measurement due to minimum weighting limits of that scale.

10. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I have one that is all original, will check the weights, just curious. I have sawed off lots of Jauch weights to make them somewhere between 4.7 to 5 pounds, for Hermle conversions. I lighten them mainly because the Hermle will strike a little quick, and most of the clocks that have J 77 movements also have a very narrow case. They don't need any 'extra' over-swing.

Willie X

11. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Yep, mine are all the same, but 6 pounds each. I'm not surprised, I've seen marked differences in same movement weights from many companies.

Willie X