• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Jars for L&R Master watch cleaning machine

amilevad

Jun 4, 2020
California
Country
Region
Folks -
I just received the L&R watch cleaning machine I got on ebay, and one of the jars was smashed in shipment. The seller says he doesn’t have a replacement. They are not OEM jars, but fit nicely. They have very wide mouths and are wuite heavy, measuring about 3-13/16” in diameter and about 6-3/4” tall. Can anyone point me to a source for replacemant jars, please?
Thanks! 69F12A61-3B3B-40D5-8940-9845C458D6E1.jpeg 2786F804-897D-498F-BFC6-7181ED59DBB6.jpeg

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
I would think you should be able to find a suitable replacement without being held up for the ridiculous replacement price. :)

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
I see there are several on ebay. They probably won't go super cheap but they are available. I think it's pretty uncommon for them to be available.

I don't know which machine you have, but my Varimatic looks like it would be extremely picky about jar shape. The outside can't be any bigger, and the hole in the top can't be any smaller. The height must be just right. I seriously doubt I could go to the grocery store and find a pickle or mayo jar shaped like these. I'd sigh and pay the ebay price and move on. Sorry!

Reactions: MrRoundel

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
When I got mine, all jars had broken, quart canning jars work well, just have to file the nubs on the basket holder to fit through the jar opening, have used then for over 10 years now and are easily replaced when stained.

ifly8630j

Jan 27, 2014
If you have a Master you can use a quart jar that uses a 89 mm lid all other machines must have a 95 mm mouth because of the switch that contacts the edge to make the machine reverse.

amilevad

Jun 4, 2020
California
Country
Region
Excellent! I can’t believe what I’m seeing on ebay - $53 for jars, and not yet final bids! I’ll check out the quart canning jars. Thanks!

dritland

Jun 27, 2009
When I got mine, all jars had broken, quart canning jars work well, just have to file the nubs on the basket holder to fit through the jar opening, have used then for over 10 years now and are easily replaced when stained.
Hi; I seem to recall that there is a larger basket assembly that clips onto the holder using those outside nubs? I think L&R may have marketed it for small clock usage. The smaller baskets clip into the three spokes internally though, so they are indifferent to the nubs.

measuretwice

Jul 28, 2019
Toronto
Country
I didn't have any broken, however imo its dysfunctional not having tight fitting, screw on lids. The cleaner and rinse just evaporate too quickly otherwise. Mine had the gravity sealed bakelite ones. In other words about no seal at all.

It feels almost silly posting glass jar info, but it wasn't as easy as I thought to find retail the right sized jar. All I found at first, the manufactures want to ship truck loads but finally amazon stocked one that work. For a couple of years now they have withstood the chemicals.

The only issue is the jar lip isn't the right size for the switch that sets if from rotate to oscillate. I think a machined or 3d ring would solve that, just haven't got to it yet

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
imo its dysfunctional not having tight fitting, screw on lids.
Again my friend with the 3d printer has come through. It took us a couple iterations to get the thread right.

I got a roll of make-your-own-gasket material from the auto parts store and cut out circles to go inside these lids.

Reactions: measuretwice

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
The problem is the old threading on those old jars only fits the old chrome plated OEM steel lids. The gasket idea is a good one, as the old waxed-paper is lame. Few non-OEM jars have the same thread pitch, as everyone went to bakelite lids at some point, so it did not matter. Only the really old machines (Master, junior, etc. and earlier?) came with those jars / lids. I think the mastermatic was when they changed jars, but I'm not sure.

If you look on eBay, you will have to bid aggressively and resell what you don't need. Watch out for big chips. The older stars and baffles also work, but they made newer ones with multiple baffles on a ring that are worth it in my view if you can find them. Siphon (or pour off) and downgrade helps to save money. I think I have an L&R lid in stainless made just for that purpose somewhere :)

So, it's print or bid. or, turn from something (delrin?) and press stainless pins in the right place to thread correctly? That's nuts...unless you made a hundred and sold off the ones you didn't need to people like us...

amilevad

Jun 4, 2020
California
Country
Region
MEASURETWICE posted about these jars:

North Mountain Supply 32 Ounce
Quart Straight Sided Wide Mouth
Canning Jars - With Gold Metal Lids

Can you tell me if the mouth of these jars will pass the agitator unmodified (with the large basket) ok? I believe the jar mouth needs to be at least about 76mm inside diameter. Regular quart “widemouth” canning jars are about 72.5mm and the large basket mounting nubbins won’t pass through. In order for the motor’s bottom gasket to seal against the jar, the inside diameter of the jar’s mouth can’t be more than about 87mm. Maximum outside diameter can’t exceed about 95mm to fit into the machine pockets.

Last edited:

amilevad

Jun 4, 2020
California
Country
Region
I'm happy to report that I found a source for commercially available jars that work very well with the L&R Master machine, including the large basket and unmodified "nubs" on the agitator. These jars only come with plastic lids, which I have not tested with watch cleaning chemicals; however, the L&R baffles fit and should work fine. The jars come in pairs for $18.95 on Amazon, with a variety of plastic lid choices.
Glass Storage Jars with Lids - Extra Wide Mouth Storage Jar 32 oz - 2 (BPA Free) Plastic Storage Lids - Made in the USA by Jarming Collections
2F29BC6D-CCF5-429E-99EA-37A76A5F226F.jpeg

Last edited:

measuretwice

Jul 28, 2019
Toronto
Country
Can you tell me if the mouth of these jars will pass the agitator unmodified (with the large basket) ok?
Yes, no modification needed (or wanted on my part). As I said, the only issue was the switch on the bottom of the head does correctly engage. There's a simple 3D printing solution or turning solution to that, just make a ring that sits on jaw when in use.

The ones you found may be the same thing but with plastic lids

amilevad

Jun 4, 2020
California
Country
Region
Yes, no modification needed (or wanted on my part). As I said, the only issue was the switch on the bottom of the head does correctly engage. There's a simple 3D printing solution or turning solution to that, just make a ring that sits on jaw when in use.

The ones you found may be the same thing but with plastic lids
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeszkaGeri91
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-