Japy Freres Suspension Spring

diver7325

Mar 4, 2016
Shelbyville, IN
Country
I am working on a French Japy Freres clock and the suspension spring is broken on it...I ordered one from Timesavers that looked like the one that was broken. When I put it in, and placed the pendulum on it, I started the pendulum and the bob on the bottom wobbles rather than going from side to side smoothly.

The movement has the number 205 on it...I'm not sure if that is the model number or not...I am including a picture of the movement and the part that the suspension spring attaches to. Hopefully someone can tell me what type of spring I need to get so that the pendulum bob moves the way it should and not wobble.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Denis IMG_3353.jpg IMG_3355.jpg IMG_3352.jpg DSCN4878.JPG IMG_3354.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i see everything but the suspension spring... ?

you want one of these... the slotted part allows the top wheel to turn. the spring runs through the slot and the piece that forms the slot moves up and down as you adjust... effectively shortening or lengthening the spring.

DSCN4878 copy.jpg attachment.jpg

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
These springs can be easily damaged trying to insert them in "the slot" in the photo above. If either leaf of the spring is bent it will likely wobble. It may not be the spring at all - make sure the slot in the crutch foot is precisely perpendicular to the movement plate. Also make sure the part with the slot that moves up and down isn't moving as the clock is running It must move up and down during adjustment but there should be no slop in the slot or in the channel in which the block with the slot moves.

RC

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Making the part of the suspension spring below the chocks shorter can help, about 3/8", or a little less, is good. Then adjust the rate using the adjustment nut on the pendulum. You may need to use a shorter suspension spring to make this work. Larger and/or shorter springs are a plus for pendulum stability. Willie X

diver7325

Mar 4, 2016
Shelbyville, IN
Country
These springs can be easily damaged trying to insert them in "the slot" in the photo above. If either leaf of the spring is bent it will likely wobble. It may not be the spring at all - make sure the slot in the crutch foot is precisely perpendicular to the movement plate. Also make sure the part with the slot that moves up and down isn't moving as the clock is running It must move up and down during adjustment but there should be no slop in the slot or in the channel in which the block with the slot moves.

RC
If the spring is bent, is there anyway of bending it back into shape or should I just get a new one? I think that might be the issue because when I put it in it's holder, the top part is angled a like rather than being straight up and down...I will send a picture of this later when I get into the shop.

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
You may need to do a little file work on the notch on the upper block so it clears the rating wheel and hangs straight. Most replacement parts are not plug and play,they need to be fitted to the application.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you carefully bend the spring in the opposite direction, you can straighten it and likely salvage it.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
You may need to do a little file work on the notch on the upper block so it clears the rating wheel and hangs straight. Most replacement parts are not plug and play,they need to be fitted to the application.
I just want to emphasize what Jay said. Most often you need to shape the upper part for a proper fit. The upper notch is often too wide and will cause the spring to hang non-perpendicular.

Uhralt

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
If the spring is bent, is there anyway of bending it back into shape or should I just get a new one? I think that might be the issue because when I put it in it's holder, the top part is angled a like rather than being straight up and down...I will send a picture of this later when I get into the shop.
Straightening a damaged suspension spring is a definite maybe. Sometimes one gets lucky but if everything else is right and it still wobbles, then replace the spring. As already mentioned, the spring must hang straight down and be able to move fore and aft to stay straight in line with the pendulum or you will have problems.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It looks to me as if it could be straightened.
But the taper pin you have at the top looks as if it may be too thick, it seems to be pushing the top of the spring over to the right, unless it is just a illusion due to the camera angle or such.

JTD

diver7325

Mar 4, 2016
Shelbyville, IN
Country
It looks to me as if it could be straightened.
But the taper pin you have at the top looks as if it may be too thick, it seems to be pushing the top of the spring over to the right, unless it is just a illusion due to the camera angle or such.

JTD
The spring slides back and forth on the taper pin so it is not too big...that is how it naturally sits when I put it in...

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The slight curve is less likely to cause a problem than if it has a wrinkle in it. You may be able to carefully straighten it but be careful not to bend just at the brass ends.
I agree with RC that the slight curve is unlikely to cause a problem. I would leave it alone. If the pendulum still wobbles please show a clear picture of the crutch with the pendulum rod installed. Likely the crutch is not exactly parallel to the suspension spring. In this situation the impulse from the crutch goes into a different direction than the pendulum wants to swing. That causes a wobble.

Uhralt

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
The problem that I see is the regulating chops. Those slots need to be carefully spread out so the ears touch the guide with a slight bit of tension. The way it is now the chops can rotate on the screw as the pend. swings and cause the wobble. You will have to remove the chops to accomplish this.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The problem that I see is the regulating chops. Those slots need to be carefully spread out so the ears touch the guide with a slight bit of tension. The way it is now the chops can rotate on the screw as the pend. swings and cause the wobble. You will have to remove the chops to accomplish this.
I think you are right. the ear on the left side is completely compressed. That slot needs to be opened.
Uhralt

diver7325

Mar 4, 2016
Shelbyville, IN
Country
I think you are right. the ear on the left side is completely compressed. That slot needs to be opened.
Uhralt
Can you please show me on the picture what you are talking about so I can fix it...I have an idea but I want to sure.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The two gaps shown with the arrows. The left one is almost closed. They need to be widened so that the outer pieces (the ears) touch the wall. The center gap should not be changed.

Uhralt

diver7325

Mar 4, 2016
Shelbyville, IN
Country
**UPDATE**

After I tried what you guys said, I finally got the clock working. I bought it at an auction and you know how auctioneers are with clocks...at some point, the verge on the front face had been bent and would not allow the escape wheel to move while the pendulum was swinging. I did not realize this and kept swinging the pendulum harder trying to get the escape wheel to move. This caused the bob to wobble because it was moving so much.

Long story short...

I adjusted the verge and barely moved the pendulum and everything moved perfectly. So I'm not sure if there was really anything wrong with the suspension spring or not.

Again...thanks for all the in-sight and help with this!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nacht Kreatur
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre