English Japy Freres Mechanism date

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Love clocks, Oct 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Love clocks

Love clocks Registered User

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    French Artist 6.JPG
    Does anyone have any idea of the date of this Mechanism? I have found many Japy Freres stamps but none where their name is in the circle and Medal is listed in Centre. Number stamped is 35122 which according to one site dates it as being sold between 1905 and 1909 but I think it is a lot earlier than that. Mechanism has a silk suspension.

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Japy Freres received several gold medals (medaille d'or) between 1819 and 1839. The earliest possible date for your movement is therefore 1819.
    See this article: http://www.nawcc-index.net/Articles/Dean-french.pdf

Uhralt

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Seeing the whole clock would also be helpful.

JTD

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Afaik Japy serial #s are of no use in dating movements but as your movement has a silk suspension that means it is an earlier one and suggests it isn't later than around the mid 19thC when silk suspensions were no longer widely used on these movements.

According to one source, Thorpe, the name Japy Freres was first registered in 1821 and was used until it was dissolved in 1854 whereupon it became Society Japy Freres et Cie. Thorpe also says using information from another source (Chavigny and Boulay) that movements were marked Japy Medaille d'Or 1823-27-34-39-44-49, the assumption is the mark was changed to add new awards for subsequent years and that this mark was used until 1850 whereupon the mark Japy Freres Medaille d'Or was used up to 1858.

The mark on this clock, Japy Freres et Cie Medaille D'Or, having no date(s), doesn't readily fit into the above narrative but it would seem reasonable to assume the mark wouldn't date from before when Japy Freres et Cie came into being. A by no means definitive conclusion could be to put forward the movement dates from 1854 to 1858.

5. Love clocks

Love clocks Registered User

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    French Artist 9.JPG
    This is the clock JTD. Thank you to Uhralt and jmclaugh for the information.

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Thanks for posting the photo of the clock. I see that the mark on the dial is that of Henri Marc, a very well established dealer in Paris. There is some uncertainty as to whether he actually made clocks, but certainly a lot of the clocks he sold had Japy Freres movements.

I see there are little porcelain panels at the front. If you look at the back of them you might find a name for the porcelain maker, but not always.

Judging by the look of the clock I would suppose that the date suggested by jmclaugh is probably pretty near the mark.

JTD