• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Japy Freres marble/onyx mantel

woodlawndon

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2017
Woodlawn, Ontario
Country
Region
Hoping someone can help me narrow down the model of this clock. The case very much reminds me of some Ansonia models but the mechanism is a Japy Freres and an internet search of the stamp on the mechanism (Grd Med Honeur) would date it to between 1855 and 1873 (this could be way off). Not sure if the case is marble, onyx or alabaster.

Could a Japy mechanism have been placed in this case at a different time or were the mechanisms shipped all around the world? Any insight or comments are welcome. Thanks.
Don

310574.jpg 310575.jpg

Attachments

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,
The clock does look like an American Adamantine type clock, but it is French and the movement and case (which is onyx) have always been together. It dates to about 1880. These clocks were always manufactured in France, but were either ordered and shipped to other countries or brought abroad by their owners (people visiting the country for instance).
Regards.

woodlawndon

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2017
Woodlawn, Ontario
Country
Region
Merci Ticktocktime, that was helpful. As I poke around with the clock, I think you are right, the movement and case have always been a match. The ribbon at the bottom is throwing me off, it just doesn't seem right to me, almost like it was an add-on. I'll post an update as I disassemble for cleaning. Thank you.

woodlawndon

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2017
Woodlawn, Ontario
Country
Region
Very pleased with this one, it cleaned up well. This was the first French movement that I've worked on, the engineering is impressive. The woman I got it from stated that she couldn't remember the last time it ran so it's nice to see it humming along happily on my mantel.

311198.jpg

Attachments