Japy Freres clock

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Would like to get some idea as to the value of this clock. It needs a clean and oil and has a broken pallet jewel. What kind of value in current state, and what value after repairs completed. Thanks. Its a heavy clock around 40 pounds, has a Japy Freres movement. Strikes on a gong, with a brocot escapement.

40 pound slate french.jpg

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi Kevin,

It’s a handsome example Kevin - the exposed escapement and its size is a bonus, but the market is particularly unkind to these clocks at the moment. I would suggest $200-300 CAN in its present state, and $500-600 CAN fully restored. Even that estimate might be on the ambitious side these days.

Regards.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
The good news is that it is a fine clock. Looks like a marble case and the movement is of high quality. The bad news is that unless you can do all of the necessary work ( overhaul and replace the pallet pin ) you will probably not see a profit. If it is your family treasure and you need to have the work done, put your head down and go for it. There are many professionals that can do the work (choose wisely) for an honest price and the clock will run for many years more. But, in my opinion, the ship has sailed on this style. I wish I could sell mine by the pound. Unless you are 25 years old and can wait 30 years for the next ship to come in. My opinion only.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks, thats what i wish to hear, as i feel the same too. Its a heavy clock. Yes i can do the work, and was hoping to sell it and make some money.
I love the case, and i have a few other clocks with the brocot escapement. Fun to watch.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Yes i can do the work, and was hoping to sell it and make some money.
Be aware that unless it has a tempting price tag, a marble clock such as this one, despite its quality, is sadly about the worst possible type of clock to buy with a view to making a profit in the current state of the market.

Regards.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
All i can do is try the water after repairs. If i cant get what it i need, it can sit in my shop for a few years with no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatskillPainter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff