Japy Freres & Cie Figural Mantel Clock

BargainHunter

Feb 23, 2021
Country
Hello - I just acquired this clock and am trying to learn about it. It seems to have a piece (another figure) broken off on the left side (when looking at the clock). I can't find an image with this exact clock to see what it might be. The movement clearly says Japy Freres & Cie Grnd Med D'Honeur, and there is that number 8276, but I'm not sure what this means. Can any of you give me an idea of value? age? an idea of the model name or what might have been on the left side? It did not come with a key. Is there a standard Japy Freres key that I may be able to acquire to see if it keeps time? It was covered with a serious layer of dust when found at the market so no one has been looking after it for some time.
IMG_6866.jpeg IMG_6867.jpeg

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
A nice figural clock. As a general rule the serial number, for want of a better term, on these French movements has no useful meaning in terms of telling us anything about it. I can't help with what may be broken off and missing. Japy produced complete clocks so it is possible this is one of theirs and may have appeared in Japy catalogues and have had a model name/number but it could also be the movement was bought in and cased by someone else. For the key size you need to measure the diameter of the winding arbor to determine it, there is no standard Japy size. As to date I'd think late 19th C.

Last edited:

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
According to Dating French Clocks Using Physical Parts – Suspension, Striking, and Exposition Medaillions
by Scotty Dean With initial work by Michael Murray and Kerry Rasmussen,
"Prior to ~1880 a count wheel .... was typically used on French movements,
though there are exceptions, and have seen a rack & snail used as early as 1865. After the ~1880, the French
used a rack and snail strike mounted on the outside front of the movement, though again there are exceptions for
the use of a count wheel much later."

Based on this, jmclaugh's late 19th C projection seems reasonable and quite appropriate.

If you can post a clear picture of the Medallion, one might possibly be able to narrow this down a bit.
Royce

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
To add to what Royce quoted,

there are exceptions for
the use of a count wheel much later."
We have seen the use of the count wheel on French movements as late as the 1890s and into the 20th century.

After the ~1880, the French
used a rack and snail strike mounted on the outside front of the movement,
This may be the source used by many on these forums who have steadfastly stood by the year 1880 as the cutoff of count wheel usage on French clocks, which as mentioned above, is not correct (and is not even implied by Dean et. al.).

This does not change the estimates of vintage of the OP's clock, just a note for future research.:)

Regards.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I see the count wheel/rack striking for dating has cropped up again. The use of a count wheel after 1880 is quite common and not just exceptions as indicated by the number of examples you come across.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drjjpdc
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff