Japy Freres 8 day suspension

A

Alan_Jones

I need some help with a Japy Freres 8 day movement out of a four glass crystal regulator case. I purchased the clock as needing repair, the suspension being broken, however, I was led to believe the top half was still attached to the clock to aid selection of a replacement. The problem I have is that it is not and I need help to order the correct replacement. I put the movement at around 1870 based on the Gde Med D’Honneur mark. Can anyone tell me the suspension I need to order, also, I presume that a pin is used to secure it in place, is this just a straight pin or is there a special part required. Is there anything I need to be aware of when fitting.

The case is dull and in need of a clean but otherwise in very good condition and all pretty much original with matching serial numbers, etc. The pendulum has its original mercury vials and is complete. Other than the suspension, the only other problem I have noticed is on the strike train. It is working perfectly and in sync, however, there is a crack in the mainspring barrel. Is this something I need to be worried about? Does it need replacing as a matter of urgency or will the clock be ok in this state. The crack starts just after the cut gear and extends all the way to the front of the barrel. Without removing, I can’t tell if it extends on to the front face.

All help will be greatly appreciated, this is the first time I have had one of these clocks. Thanks Alan

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

A

Alan_Jones

I need some help with a Japy Freres 8 day movement out of a four glass crystal regulator case. I purchased the clock as needing repair, the suspension being broken, however, I was led to believe the top half was still attached to the clock to aid selection of a replacement. The problem I have is that it is not and I need help to order the correct replacement. I put the movement at around 1870 based on the Gde Med D’Honneur mark. Can anyone tell me the suspension I need to order, also, I presume that a pin is used to secure it in place, is this just a straight pin or is there a special part required. Is there anything I need to be aware of when fitting.

The case is dull and in need of a clean but otherwise in very good condition and all pretty much original with matching serial numbers, etc. The pendulum has its original mercury vials and is complete. Other than the suspension, the only other problem I have noticed is on the strike train. It is working perfectly and in sync, however, there is a crack in the mainspring barrel. Is this something I need to be worried about? Does it need replacing as a matter of urgency or will the clock be ok in this state. The crack starts just after the cut gear and extends all the way to the front of the barrel. Without removing, I can’t tell if it extends on to the front face.

All help will be greatly appreciated, this is the first time I have had one of these clocks. Thanks Alan

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Others may disagree but I don't think suspension ribbon is critical - just that it fits in the slot, neither siezed there nor having slop there. Sometimes you may need to dress the slot or ribbon retainer to achieve that. I'd buy a ribbon assortment and choose the best candidate. The pendulum rod will have a slotted hook on it to hang across a bar at the base of the ribbon - that type ribbon. I'd select about a 1" long, dual strip ribbon.
Barrel DEFINITELY will need addressed. That WILL need repaired or replaced.

Ingulphus

May 29, 2006
Oakland, CA
Country
Region
The suspension spring will have a brass block at both ends; the top block will have a hole to accept a brass pin securing it to the suspension holder, while the bottom will have a horizontal pin that the pendulum hooks on to. The top block should be wide enough to fit snugly but not tightly (like a 400 day suspension, it should have some front-to-back play, but not much), and the spring itself will slide through the very center slits (which are part of the legnth adjustment).

I've found that the length can be partly determined by the length of the pendulum, and where it would hang once connected - they usually came fairly close to the floor of the case, say within an inch, but an exact length for the spring isn't absolutely neccessary, as the timing is tweaked via the adjustment mentioned above.

I really, really enjoy working on French movements - they were so well-designed that it is impossible to re-assemble them incorrectly - each part will only fit where it belongs. BTW - there should be a single "dot" punched into the time-side spring barrel, and two dots on the strike side (unless I got them bass-ackwards) - the strike side will usually have a slightly larger spring.

I would worry about that crack - replacement barrels are fairly easy to find (these movements were churned out by the gazillions), and having the spring fail and damage the pivots around it would be a pity. French pivots are VERY hard and fairly small, so they are all too easy to snap off. They are also VERY sharp, so take care when reassembling - it's very easy to scratch up the interiors of the plates when guiding them into their bushings.

Have fun!

Mark Powers

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Indeed they are INGL! They spoil you for all the rest. I just LOVE the way during assembly - how that you need not even press on the upper plate to guide assembly. I'm always amazed how when one pivot finds it's bushing, the upper plate simply falls under it's own weight - ready for the next one. A treat INDEED! Precision personnified.

A

Alan_Jones

Thanks for the advice. I have managed to pick up an almost identical Japy movement for £10. Both barrels are in good condition so I will change out the strike barrel and hopefully be left with a few spares.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Alan, use caution in switching parts, as not all Japy Freres are created equally. The parts are not always interchangable.
Harold

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
First, DORAN:
WELCOME aboard!
You're awake in Hawaii, far from "IRENE"?
TIMESAVERS, for one is a good source for your suspension.

Talyinka

May 14, 2011
England
Country
Thanks for the advice. I have managed to pick up an almost identical Japy movement for £10. Both barrels are in good condition so I will change out the strike barrel and hopefully be left with a few spares.
French movements are not plug 'n' play. Even identical looking movements more often than not don't have swappable parts although barrels are not the worst. So, measure everything!

With regard to suspension springs the commercially available types are fairly interchangeable. You can of course calculate the preferred length from the effective pendulum length stamped on the back plate. M&P sell a small assortment bag of French movement suspension springs as I'm sure other suppliers do. They normally need to be filed a bit to fit well next to the wheel moving the suspension block up and down.

laprade

I agree with Scottie, but would point out that the picture shown in a previous post, is not the right one for that clock. The "open box" suspension blocks, use a "stepped" version, as shown in the picture posted here. Also, you must be aware that some suppliers, supply them with plastic tops and bottoms, so make sure you get brass, as, has already been said, they sometimes need a bit of trimming, especially the stepped versions.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre