Japy Frere clock pendulum suspension

vernb

Mar 19, 2002
What material should be used for pendulum suspension on the Japy Freres (Medaille DOR #1619). The suspension post has two holes which currently has fishing-line through the holes establishing a loop below the post for attaching the pendulum. The pendulum has a hook on the top for attaching to the loop. There is also a wind arbor which holds both ends of the lines for raising or lowering the loop (and pendulum). The system resembles a cuckoo clock pendulum arrangement but is adjustable. First, is how the system really works? And then, Where can I learn about this system and the material used in it.
Thanks Vern

vernb

Mar 19, 2002
What material should be used for pendulum suspension on the Japy Freres (Medaille DOR #1619). The suspension post has two holes which currently has fishing-line through the holes establishing a loop below the post for attaching the pendulum. The pendulum has a hook on the top for attaching to the loop. There is also a wind arbor which holds both ends of the lines for raising or lowering the loop (and pendulum). The system resembles a cuckoo clock pendulum arrangement but is adjustable. First, is how the system really works? And then, Where can I learn about this system and the material used in it.
Thanks Vern

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hi Vern-

You will need some pure silk thread to use as a suspension. It may be a special order from a fabric store, like mine was, but what I use is a 6/20 (.005"). I'm not sure what the numbers 6/20 mean but that's what is on the spool. It can be doubled up if you feel what you have is too slender. Silk thread was used because it didn't stretch. A good reference for this type of movement is Thorpe's "The French Marble Clock". It shows pictures of how the silk is threaded through the holes and then attached to the rate adjuster.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Curtis Brown

vernb

Mar 19, 2002
Thanks David, I really appreciate your help!!!
Vern

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockjoyner
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre