• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Japanese Clock Identity

Sojourner

May 15, 2021
Country
Hello All, I am new to the NAWCC and have already gleaned a boatload of information in following previous streams of years past. Only of late have I taken a greater interest in my small collection of clocks. So, I've several that I've purchased over the years but do not know some of the makers. I purchased this wall clock in Shanghai in 2003. Written on the glass is "YOKAMAKI HOKEN." The porcelain dial has the "S" enclosed by a diamond and circle (Seikosha Trademark?). Found on the spiral gong base plate are the somewhat illegible words "IWATI (or OWATI) CLOCK CO." Then engraved on the case are the words "Trade Mark," with a rearing horse on what appears to be a globe. Is this a Seikosha Clock? Is this a compilation of many different clocks (not uncommon in China antique dens)? And finally can we date it?

The Japanese had a large contingent in the International quarter in Shanghai in the 1920's. Then Japan occupied Shanghai in 1937.

Pls note the photos:

Shanghai Wall Clock.jpg Open Case.jpg Owat Clock Co.jpg Trade Mark Horse on Globe.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Found on the spiral gong base plate are the somewhat illegible words "IWATI (or OWATI) CLOCK CO."
The trademark on the movement (a horse on a globe) looks similar to the TM of Owari:

1622745215881.png

1622745238661.png

I suspect the writing on the gong plate is the "Owari Clock Company".

The porcelain dial has the "S" enclosed by a diamond and circle
Can you provide a better picture of this trademark?

And, welcome to the forum!

Regards.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

Yes, the firm in question is indeed Owari (not Owati) founded in 1896 in Nagoya Japan. I would place your clock around 1910. I recall reading somewhere (was it on the now defunct website of the late Charles E. Davis?) that Owari was taken over by Seikosha at some point (which might explain the "S" on the dial?), but others will confirm wether this is accurate or not. What is certain is that Owari ceased to operate when the market for their mechanical clocks declined.

Regards.

Sojourner

May 15, 2021
Country
The trademark on the movement (a horse on a globe) looks similar to the TM of Owari:

View attachment 657327

View attachment 657328

I suspect the writing on the gong plate is the "Owari Clock Company".

Can you provide a better picture of this trademark?

And, welcome to the forum!

Regards.
Thanks new2clocks and ticktocktime100 for your quick reply and enlightening info. I see now the OWARI CLOCK CO. is obvious when you know what you're looking for. Pls see pic of the dial with TM. Genuinely grateful, Mike

Dial Trade Mark.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Thanks new2clocks and ticktocktime100 for your quick reply and enlightening info. I see now the OWARI CLOCK CO. is obvious when you know what you're looking for. Pls see pic of the dial with TM. Genuinely grateful, Mike

View attachment 657331
Mike, the trademark on your dial is that of Seikosha.

We have seen this combination (Seikosha trademark on the dial and Owari trademark on the movement) before:

1622749892021.png

1622749921075.png

So, perhaps as Ticktocktime recalled, there was some type of acquisition of Owari by Seikosha or some type of collaboration between the two companies and your clock could be original.

Regards.

Sojourner

May 15, 2021
Country
Thanks again, continuing to learn and enjoy the education.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nersinho
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-