Japanese Clock Book?

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by sandsmuseum, Dec 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. sandsmuseum

sandsmuseum Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 14, 2007
    retired
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found a Japanese clock book in my mother's collection and am trying to identify it. One of the clocks my mother gave me was a Japanese Stick Clock. I found it in the book and used some internet tools to translate the Katakana to English. However the results of the title seem incomplete. I was hoping someone might recognize it.

The translation of the title and author is: "From And Timepiece S" by Xiao Xin

The picture below is my stick clock and the translation of the description is:
    "Circular celestial scallop-style fixed timepiece clock clock Large circular dome-marked sword-shaped timepiece dial clock steel steel carving machine. With half-length decorative pillar. 眞 Mirror hair carving machine. With decorative pillars. Purple tank girder.

A dial with a magnificent silver sheet metal time stamp attached to the split-koma style on time. Height 151.0cm, width 15.0cm."

Any information will be appreciated.

Michael

japanesestickclock.jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 10.25.34 AM.png

2. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    There is a bit of a discussion on the books available on Japanese clocks in this thread

尺時計 Shaku Dokei

I'm confused by the pictures you have put up. One is a pillar clock, tho other a lantern clock. They are very different and operate on different principles (the lantern clock shows the time in a circular fashion on the dial, the pillar clock indicates the time by a pointer moving downwards vertically with the movement of the weight)

Which one is yours?

3. sandsmuseum

sandsmuseum Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 14, 2007
    retired
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry, I should have been more clear about the two pictures. The picture on the right, the lantern clock, is the cover of the book. The pillar clock is an excerpt out of the book, actually a page that shows a picture of the clock I have. I included it to show the description and format of the interior of the book.

Thank you for the pointer to the books on Japanese Clocks.