• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Japan Battery Chiming Clock - Won't stop Chiming

Les Sanders

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2010
Sahuarita Arizona
Country
Region
I have a Chiming Clock Made In Japan, it has a switch = off 1 2 on off it runs and keeps on 1 or 2 it keeps Striking and Chiming. See my pictures. Thank You MVC-001L.JPG MVC-002L.JPG MVC-002L.JPG MVC-002L.JPG MVC-001L.JPG MVC-001L.JPG MVC-002L.JPG

Last edited:

Les Sanders

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2010
Sahuarita Arizona
Country
Region
Well I did a video that shows it running and running and running. Note that I first point at a small gear that drives some other gears never moves I know it must be how it stops the chiming and striking.

Les Sanders

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2010
Sahuarita Arizona
Country
Region
So I took this down a bit, left the hand it is crimped on big time. I not 100 % sure what it needs so take it apart clean it with Dove and dry and oil! I have no skills as far as the electronics go>

MVC-003L.JPG MVC-004L.JPG MVC-005L.JPG

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Hmm. Most of these have a mechanical method of using the traditional rack lifter to make the electrical contact which starts the motor running. This seems to make those connections electrically. The motor that runs the chime/strike should turn on and off. This should also work in unision as to where the hands are. The wheels you pointed out in your video that don't turn while the strike is running are the wheels that set the hands. So if you use the hand setting knob to turn the hands, does it start stop the chime/strike?
I'm inexperienced with this movement as it must have been short lived in the design period of such transitions from mechanical to electrical clock movements. The rotational switching method is similar to a variable resistor pot. I can see why it wasn't around for long in the scheme of things. Such movements would have been replaced the first time they played up.