James Garner Liverpool

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
In Loomes he gives the name James Garner Liverpool 1834, and that's it.below there is a watch by Garner without a case, and I think the date would be a little earlier, maybe 1828/29. I ask because has some of you will know I am working on a large list of watchmakers who exported watches to America, and Garner keeps cropping up. I would say this watch was one of these-if only from the hands. If anyone has more information on this maker I would be pleased to hear from you. The escapement is an STR.
Regards,
Allan.

IMG_7154.JPG IMG_7155.JPG

Reactions: Keith R...

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
He was, apparently, in 1 rose street in 1834. Google maps doesn't help, the middle of the street seems to have been bombed, there are original houses each end but the numbering system has gone to pot.

However here he is shown as a livery stable keeper, while another James Garner (the same?) is in another street a dealer in small wares.

History, Directory, and Gazetteer, of the County Palatine of Lancaster

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Thanks, Nick-I have little time at the moment I think I have taken on a dinosaur, but I am nearly halfway through. When I am through to the other side I will I hope be able to tell you more. Allan

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
I have some information from clockswatches.com (subscription site):

Recorded at 1 Rose Street, Liverpool in 1834 by Loomes. This maker/retailer does not appear in the Liverpool directories for 1766, 1824, 1825, 1829, 1837, 1853, 1856 or 1895 which is very surprising and would seem to indicate that he was only working there a few years. There is no record of his apprenticeship, or him taking on any apprentices.

The website also has photos of a watch with silver case hallmarked 1835. It has a cream dial and gold hands and fairly large ununk subsidiary seconds dial. The movement signature is plain upper case in an S-curve (just like the classic M I Tobias signatures) and it has an uncompensated plain gold balance wheel. The balance cock is decorated and has a diamond endstone, but without the 'oversize' upper step in Allan's watch.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I have some information from clockswatches.com (subscription site):

Recorded at 1 Rose Street, Liverpool in 1834 by Loomes. This maker/retailer does not appear in the Liverpool directories for 1766, 1824, 1825, 1829, 1837, 1853, 1856 or 1895 which is very surprising and would seem to indicate that he was only working there a few years. There is no record of his apprenticeship, or him taking on any apprentices.

The website also has photos of a watch with silver case hallmarked 1835. It has a cream dial and gold hands and fairly large ununk subsidiary seconds dial. The movement signature is plain upper case in an S-curve (just like the classic M I Tobias signatures) and it has an uncompensated plain gold balance wheel. The balance cock is decorated and has a diamond endstone, but without the 'oversize' upper step in Allan's watch.

The gazeteer in my link is 1824, so perhaps not all liverpool directories are complete. Unless, of course, they are just looking under clock or watchmakers.

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
The gazeteer in my link is 1824, so perhaps not all liverpool directories are complete. Unless, of course, they are just looking under clock or watchmakers.
Nick, I believe you're right - clockswatches.com looks only at the clock and watch makers sections ... and sometimes allied trades.

Jess ....... :D

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
It would be interesting to try and find out if the two mentioned are the same person. A dealer in small wares sounds more like a watch retailer, but the livery stable seems to have been successful, I also found him as a carriage owner. Sounds an enterprising chap. It does look like the building is still there too, if you could work out which end the numbering started.

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Allan ... I think this may be your man ...
upload_2019-4-1_0-35-1.png
He is listed in street directories into the early 1850's. e.g. Gores 1953 listed in Street directory, but not under watchmaker ...

upload_2019-4-1_0-43-45.png

upload_2019-4-1_0-44-45.png

Needs more research ...

John

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
I think you are right John-it does need more research, but first, thank you all for the above. I think we need to look a bit further afield, but will need some luck. If we look at the watch above, I think we can say before 1830-or a little later. There are stories of Ship captains who for a fee would take a small packet of watches to the north and south America. Risky business, but this could fit our wondering James Garner. The only James Garner I new before this one drove around in a Ford Mustang in LA. :cool::p

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kafa
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions