Jakob Kleiser in Schollach. For the English market.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
This one is just a little rough compared to other similar clocks I buy. But still an interesting clock with character, in an unusual case style for this type.

Missing is a case top side molding, movement stop works, and hammer spring (which was screwed into the side of the movement plate). Hour hand is loose. Note interesting movement mounting nuts under the seatboard- looks like made from wheel blanks. The pendulum bob is crude, and a bit dented.

The clock is a little top heavy with brass plated movement, and convex glass.

Attachments

nicksey

Nov 12, 2009
Cheshire, UK
Country
Region
Joseph Benedict Reick was originally born in Baden, Germany around 1827, at some point he came to England and in 1863 married his English wife Jane in Wandsworth, London.

By the time of the 1871 census he was living in Cromwell Terrace Battersea with his wife, where he described himself as a watch & clock maker and did not use the name Joseph, just referring to himself as Benedict.

By 1881 they were living in a relatively new housing block in Battersea called Victoria Dwellings and he was back to using the name Joseph B Reick and describing himself as a naturalized British Subject and a Watch & Clock Maker. He was still there as Joseph B. Reick in 1891.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Thank you for the helpful information, Nicksey. I didn't find any listing of B. Reick. I've printed your response and will keep it with the clock.

Mr. Reick sounds like a fine upstanding citizen. I'm surmising he serviced the clocks he sold, and I'm positive he was not responsible for the missing stop works, or hammer spring. :eek:

Sooth

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2005
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
www.angelfire.com
Country
Region
Wow, another beautiful find, Chris. I love that it's visible that they used dovetail construction for the case. I also love that blue interior! Do you think it had a mirror in the bottom? The wheel blanks are funny and inventive. The only thing that detracts for me is the hands. They don't look fine enough for the quality of the case and dial. I picture some more typical French hands on it.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Interesting how the name Kleiser was spelled upside down & backwards after Jakob, then corrected on the next line. FWIW, here is a link to another Kleiser clock (how's your Spanish?). Note the hands on the clock are the same as those on Chris' clock. Simple style hands for a clock of simple (though elegant) style?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Yeah, I see it now; they are different. Bad eyes!:glasses: But, they're still kinda plain!

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Steve- Thank you for the link. Probably the same movement, very helpful if I ever want the stop works remade.

Sooth- This is a typical clock of BF manufacture for England. I recognized it immediately. The pendulum window brass surround is typical, as the thick burr walnut veneer with (dark) brass inlay. The hands are typical of a Black Forest clock, thick steel with a friction fit hour hand. Many of this type had blue paint inside the case. Why? I don't know exactly. I would guess painted to control dust inside the case, but not sure why blue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maintainthestatusquo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner