• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

20th c Jaeger-LaCoultre Military pocket watch

Russ

New User
Oct 17, 2021
Country
I have a Military issue Jaeger-LaCoultre pocket watch and would like to it's age. I think it may be a WW1 issue. Internally it is in nice condition, but the hands are very rusty and falling apart. Many thanks. 20210224_113803.jpg 20210224_113744.jpg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Russ, and welcome to the forum,
I have a Military issue Jaeger-LaCoultre pocket watch and would like to it's age. I think it may be a WW1 issue. Internally it is in nice condition, but the hands are very rusty and falling apart.
This 'General Service/Trade Pattern' watch is from the WWII period and the dial and hand luminous markings contain radium, which can accelerate the corrosion. Be careful when you dismantle it not to breath in any fragments of the compound, radium has a half-life of around 1,600 years; it will still be there, albeit in tiny amounts, even though the zinc sulphide which actually produced the light under the influence of the radioactivity was exhausted long ago. The movement will be a good quality one.

Regards,

Graham

Russ

New User
Oct 17, 2021
Country
Hi Russ, and welcome to the forum,

This 'General Service/Trade Pattern' watch is from the WWII period and the dial and hand luminous markings contain radium, which can accelerate the corrosion. Be careful when you dismantle it not to breath in any fragments of the compound, radium has a half-life of around 1,600 years; it will still be there, albeit in tiny amounts, even though the zinc sulphide which actually produced the light under the influence of the radioactivity was exhausted long ago. The movement will be a good quality one.

Regards,

Graham
Hi Graham.

Thank you for your prompt reply and warning about the Radium. I had wondered why the hands were so corroded.

WWII, thank you. I did think it was in remarkable condition for WWI.

Regards

Russ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-