Jaeger Car Clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by mxfrank, Oct 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    I picked up a very nice Deco car clock at a flea market. My plan is to make it into a desk clock. It's 6 volts, and it's made by Jaeger. The numbers are cut out of the bezel ring, revealing a thin yellow catalan insert which is lit from behind. It's really going to make a gorgeous display. Some questons:

1) Does anyone know the source application? The style is reminiscent of Nash, but I can't identify it positively.

2) Can anyone think of a clever way to get this case open? The problem is that the bezel has to removed to get to the works but it's held in place with a doze crimped tabs. The tabs are hydrogen embrittled due to the chroming, and can't be bent back without fracturing. Heat is out of the question, becase of the catalan. I'm thinking that the only way is to lift them, probabably sacrificing all of them. Then the problem will be holding the bezel in place after reassembly. Maybe a snug fitting o-ring would do it, but I'm not sure what I'll find behind the bezel.

I'm not sure what the problem is, I'm hoping the balance staff isn't broken.

j1.jpg j2.jpg j3.jpg j4.jpg

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Correct me if I am wrong but cannot the bezel be turned until the tabs meet a gap?

3. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    That’s often the case for Smiths car clocks, but there are no gaps on this one. I may cut a gap with a dremel and use that to screw off the bezel.

4. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    Turned out to be from a 1940 Pontiac

5. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    Well, I finally managed to open it. What I had to do was cut a notch in the rim with a dremel, then unscrew the bezel. Despite working carefully, a couple of tabs broke in the process. Hopefully enough will be left to reassemble.

IMG_5346.JPG IMG_5347.JPG IMG_5348.JPG