Jacques I think

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Steve Newquist, Apr 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Is this a sought out clock

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Steve Newquist

Steve Newquist New Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello members, as a noob I have little to no knowledge of fine Grandfather clocks . What I do know is, I have a beautiful (almost 8ft) 13 tube beauty. It has been in my family for 3 generations. Originally purchased by my Great Grandfather around 1915.
    Trying to find the REAL maker of the clock, and I'm sure you pros can help.
    I say jaques because, that is the maker that most (looks)matches my clock.
    The name that it shows is California Furniture Co. Los Angeles. Please tell me what you think.
    Thanks
    Ps. It is in excellent working condition

20200313_111928.jpg 20200309_131031.jpg 20200309_131015.jpg 20200309_131000.jpg 20200309_131042.jpg

gleber likes this.
  2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

You say you are looking for the 'real' maker of your clock. Do you mean who made the movement? If so,we would need to see photos of the movement, particularly the back plate which may have the maker's name or logo.

Of course there may be others here who have more knowledge of who supplied the California Furniture Co.

JTD

Steve Newquist likes this.
  3. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Based on the impressive playlist --that is one fine chime clock!
    Ray

4. jkfabulos

jkfabulos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    In Tran Duy Ly's Longcase guide this clock is shown listed in the Borgfeldt & Co. 1922 catalog as a Jacques.
    There is quite a bit of reference to Borgfeldt and Bawo & Dotter concerning Jacques and their business relationships found by searching this site.
    Basically the movements were made in Germany and imported to be installed in US made cases thereby avoiding the taxes imposed on complete clocks.
    Jacques used several different cases for these 13 tubers. I have one in a case used by Waltham.
    The California Furniture Company was just a sales outlet and had nothing to do with the manufacture of this clock. If you remove the plaque and look at the backside it may be marked Jacques. Mine is marked Tiffany on the front and Jacques on the back.

B.jpg

5. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is definitely a sought-out clock as Jacques' 13 tube chime clocks are not commonly found compared to the more populous 6 and 9 tube models. The 13 tube clock wields a patented auto-synchronize device which changes the chime melodies every day of the week. This was covered under U.S. Patent No. 1220851:
    US1220851A - Chiming-clock. - Google Patents

The chimes played are Westminster, Whittington, Trinity, Notre-Dame, St. Paul, Auld Lang Syne, and Elite Carillon. From 1919 onward the St. James chime - a Jacques composition - replaces Whittington. As your clock plays Whittington it will be among the earlier production clocks and should be at least 100 years old.
    Jacques Chimes.png

All chimes were composed or arranged by Jacques, except the Westminster chime. All of his arrangements except Whittington were copyrighted and are not found on clocks from makers beyond Jacques' clientele.

JC8.jpg

The contemporary cases reflected changing tastes among American customers - while your lock's case shape is not rare, it is more often seen with 5, 6, or 9 tube movements. It is a nice, more modern take on a classic hall clock outline and would look good in virtually any home. The gridiron lyre pendulum is a superb 'bonus'.

JimmyOz, gleber and Steve Newquist like this.
  6. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    it is indeed a jacques 13 tube clock. thank you for posting this. these clocks are very uncommon. so few of them were made because they were so expensive. it is said that just the metal parts inside the cabinet would have cost around 500.00 at the time. in those days, one could buy a farm for that kind of money. i purchased my 13 tube from a local clock company that was in business for around 50 years. the guy i bought it from said that my clock was the only 13 bell he had seen as over the course of time they were in business. as others have mentioned, the cabinet is not particularly uncommon, but the movement would have been the absolute top of the line. if you wouldn't mind posting the serial number from the back of the movement, i could compare it to mine simply to get a basis of time reference. if you could shoot a photo of the stamping on the top of one of the tubes, that would be very helpful too.

i believe this clock may be later than you think. judging by the insignia between the 12 and the moon phase, i would guess from the early 1920's until the end of production around 1930.

these are my jacques chimers:

SQERl6.jpg

the clock on the left is an 11 tube. it plays 4 melodies. it seems i don't actually have a completely assembled pic of my 7 melody 13 tube clock but you get the idea.

gFP2Wd.jpg

7. Steve Newquist

Apr 8, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am apprehensive to try and get into the movement to get the serial number I looked for YouTube videos but I don't see how I can look in the back , any suggestions? I will go by and get photo of the top of the tubes today. Thank you so much for responding

8. Steve Newquist

Apr 8, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I figured out how to remove the hood and get to the serial #. Since you think it's a desirable piece, What do you think?

20200410_102229.jpg 20200410_102237.jpg 20200410_102243.jpg 20200410_102252.jpg 20200410_101733.jpg 20200410_101822.jpg 20200410_101900.jpg

9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    The name 'Elite' was used by several manufacturers but I think this movement was made by Mathias Bäuerle of St. Georgen (Germany). A very good quality movement and a lovely clock.

If you unscrew the little oval plate you might see the Bäuerle name, but not always.

JTD

10. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Truly a wonderful movement. The "Peerless" and "Elite" line of Mathias Bauerle were top notch clocks and very robust in construction.

Might I recommend that you find a very reputable clock repair shop to have the movement serviced. Doing so will definitely prolong the movement's life and prevent premature wear from dry pivot holes so that the clock can be on its way to last another 100+ years.

11. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thank you for posting the pix. my movement is stamped 336593. presumably, mine would have been built at a later date.

as to the stampings on the top of the tubes, the 13 stands for the number of tubes in the clock. the middle digit is apparently the tube's tone. all tubes should have the same 3 digit number denoting a matched set. not sure about the bottom digit.

12. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The cursive 'Jacques' trademark was registered on December 14th, 1914 according to Mikrolisk. A likely date range for your clock would be 1915-1919.