J W Benson

dwdwdw

Feb 24, 2010
I have a J W Benson pocket watch (it was my Grandfathers) I wish to adjust the time but am afraid of breaking the watch, when I turn the winder it winds the watch but I cannot work out how to get the hands to turn. Can any member help me with this problem. Regards DW

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Welcome to the board, dw3 :)

There are basically two choices for setting hands on a Benson watch which is a stem-wind as yours is.

If the rim of the watch looks like the one I've shown below, this is a pin-set, which means that you press your thumbnail down on the pin that you can see at 1 o'clock on the rim of the watch, hold that pin down, and turn the stem of the watch (that you used to wind it) and the hands will turn.

If there is no such device on the rim, then the watch is stem-set, which means that you need to pull the stem a very small distance away from the rim of the watch (gently) and you should feel it click, then you turn the stem to turn the hands. When you have done this, push the stem back in and it again operates as a winder. It is just possible that if the watch hasn't been used in a long time, the stem may not pull out properly - if so, don't force it but get a watch repairer to ease it for you.

Attachments

dwdwdw

Feb 24, 2010
Many thanks for your very prompt reply, the watch is not like the one in the picture as it has no pin on the rim. It says Swiss made at the bottom. I will try the (gentle) pull on the stem. Thank you again for your time. All the best Dave W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller