J. W. Benson "Field Watch"

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I recently acquired this fine English watch movement in a group buy. It's in absolutely fine condition and doesn't look like anything is wrong with it, other than having been separated from its case in the past.

I've read that these were advertised as rugged field watches (as its name suggests) for adventurers and people doing a lot of work and travel outside. I've also read that they came in different grade levels, so am not sure which grade this particular one would classify as.

I'm going to have to find a way to get this wonderful movement back in a case some day.

IMG_0082.jpg IMG_0083.jpg IMG_0086.jpg

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thank you John, I figured this ground would have been covered before, so it's nice to be able to compare my movement to some of the ones in the links you provided. Nice watches.

Keith R...

NAWCC Member
Nov 27, 2012
South
Country
Region
Robert, the good news about your movement are your case screws. I was cruising the
auction site one night and watched a decent Howard series III movement, with a patented
Mershon regulator, getting no bids. I bought it for $150 and Rob placed it in an old Duber
hinged 18 size glass back for me. If I want to wind or set it, I just open the back hinged lid,
then shut it and stick it in my pocket like any other carry watch. I'm sure you could find an
old hinged glass back for your size movement.

I just thought I'd share my experience that I'm pleased with. Now I don't intend to case it. I
like to carry it every now and then, as my time piece. They accommodate stem wind and lever
setting also. My movement is key wind and set from the back.

I have a farm and it makes for a good rugged time keeper.

Keith R...

103_6267 (800x600).jpg 103_6273 (800x600).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmitry Mor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry