J. S. Jahncke, 19th Century Clockmaker??

Warren Brook

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2005
Atlanta
Country
Region
I'm helping a friend research a wall regulator he recently purchased. Does any one have any information on a European (Danish?) clockmaker named J.S Jahncke who built this regulator in 1851. Attached is a photo of his signature on the silvered dial. I could not find this name on the web or in my reference library. tempImage75GVq6.png

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
speaking just for myself, i'm into clocks, not signatures... :)

what are the chances of seeing photos of the clock, hands, movements and other components?

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Also - are you sure that the name on the dial is the maker, rather than a retailer? I'm not sure what the practice would be in northern Europe at the time this was made, assuming that it is from northern Europe - again, if you can send photos showing the clock others may be able to identify where it came from, which might then help with the question of if the name is the maker, retailer, owner or someone else..

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I don't think the initials are J.S. I believe they are F. H.

Sorry I can't help further as to who Mr. Jahncke was.

JTD

Reactions: PatH

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
There is a Franz Heinr, Jahncke clockmaker 1860 in here actual page 273 or 274 pdf page#
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw196PpxgKL5EXV4ufM6PpfE&cshid=1620715487483

Dan
Excellent! I think that is almost certainly our man (right name, right initials,. right trade), though who knows how or why he turned up in the Virgin Isles.

The fact that he was born in Altona is also interesting. Altona, now part of the German city of Hamburg, was under Danish administration until 1864. Jahncke is a north German name.

JTD

Reactions: D.th.munroe

Warren Brook

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2005
Atlanta
Country
Region
speaking just for myself, i'm into clocks, not signatures... :)

what are the chances of seeing photos of the clock, hands, movements and other components?
Sorry for my delay in supplying more photos, which I just received from my friend. I'll add them to this thread..

Warren Brook

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2005
Atlanta
Country
Region
Also - are you sure that the name on the dial is the maker, rather than a retailer? I'm not sure what the practice would be in northern Europe at the time this was made, assuming that it is from northern Europe - again, if you can send photos showing the clock others may be able to identify where it came from, which might then help with the question of if the name is the maker, retailer, owner or someone else..
Thanks for your response Zedric. As you will see further along in this thread, I am virtually certain the name on the dial is in fact the clockmaker, who was in St. Thomas in the Danish Westindian Islands (now US Virgin Islands).

Warren Brook

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2005
Atlanta
Country
Region
I don't think the initials are J.S. I believe they are F. H.

Sorry I can't help further as to who Mr. Jahncke was.

JTD
Thanks JTD for interpreting the script alphabet on the dial and correctly identifying the clockmaker.

Warren Brook

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2005
Atlanta
Country
Region
When my friend found the clock, he was told it was a Seth Thomas clock by the owner. The seller had inherited the clock from his father, who had lived in St. Thomas, USVI. The dial told a much different story. The clock was made in 1851 in St. Thomas in the then Danish Virgin Islands, by a Franz Heinr. Jahncke, "Inventor & Fecit"! Attached are photos of the 3 Door Wall Regulator timepiece and its movement. The Clock is made of solid mahogany. It is missing its case bottom, its pendulum rod suspension and spring that would hang from the brass mounting bracket on the backboard. It is also missing the parts that would actuate the hour display wheel and missing its seconds sweep hand. We're looking for your input as to what the missing suspension and hour display actuator parts would look like. Enjoy this rarely seen Caribbean beauty!
tempImageHtNZWW.png tempImageNT8UNf.png tempImageZueMSd.png tempImageVpC0QL.png tempImage7iL00T.png tempImagew4gGdk.png tempImagez8rQPV.png tempImageNT8UNf.png tempImageHtNZWW.png 6CC89320-01C3-428C-AF3B-37321CD01A6B_1_201_a.jpeg tempImageZueMSd.png tempImageVpC0QL.png tempImage7iL00T.png tempImagew4gGdk.png tempImagez8rQPV.png tempImageNT8UNf.png tempImageHtNZWW.png 6CC89320-01C3-428C-AF3B-37321CD01A6B_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: PatH

Warren Brook

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2005
Atlanta
Country
Region
Excellent! I think that is almost certainly our man (right name, right initials,. right trade), though who knows how or why he turned up in the Virgin Isles.

The fact that he was born in Altona is also interesting. Altona, now part of the German city of Hamburg, was under Danish administration until 1864. Jahncke is a north German name.

JTD
Thanks for this additional information. Coincidentally, Altona is also a community just outside of Charlotte Amalie, the largest city on the island of St. Thomas, where Jahncke was likely born.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Thanks for this additional information. Coincidentally, Altona is also a community just outside of Charlotte Amalie, the largest city on the island of St. Thomas, where Jahncke was likely born.
Yes, now that we see the words S. Thomas on the dial, that does seem likely.

JTD

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Really interesting clock - thanks for sharing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ds23pallas