• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

J. McKenzie chain fusee clock

suvro

Sep 10, 2006
kolkata
Country
Hiii,

I have recently bought this chain fusee office clock, where on the movement it says " J. McKenzie & Co " London along with the manufacturing year as 1921. Anybody has any idea about this maker....

Thanks in advance you all guys.

suvro

Attachments

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Loomes does not show any in the 20th century.

Ralph

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I'm certainly not saying for sure it is the case with this clock but you do see repros of fusee wall clocks from India though they tend to be railway ones with the dial painted to reflect that. The dial on this one looks to be new or repainted and the bezel also looks new.

suvro

Sep 10, 2006
kolkata
Country
Nope. i have painted the dial..and polished the bezel. it was in totally worn out condition....and as for the indian repro, i have not seen any..i have got from elliot to James McCabe...never seen in my clock collection period a reproduced chain fusee.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I don't see any reason to doubt it's a London movement from 1921. It is unusual to see a signature on that type of movement, as you know. Could not find info. on the company. A possibility is that the retailer (Mckenzie & Co.) stamped their name, and "London" to note that it is a London movement.... although maybe "McKenzie & Co" is/was somewhere else in the UK. The clock case, hands, movement, have an appearance of commercial or industrial use, however.

prideofmatchingham

Dec 13, 2011
Kolkata, India
Country
McKenzie was a supplier to British Telephone and GPO. You can see the list of manufacturers who supplied to British Telephones here

http://www.britishtelephones.com/manucode.htm

Scroll down on the page and look against the code JM. You will find J McKenzie listed as a manufacturer.

Many Britosh suppliers/manufacturers of fusee and gallery clocks supplied to Defence, GPO and Railways. You will find Elliott most common to all of them.

Coultralife

New User
Nov 22, 2021
Country
Hiii, I have recently bought this chain fusee office clock, where on the movement it says " J. McKenzie & Co " London along with the manufacturing year as 1921. Anybody has any idea about this maker.... Thanks in advance you all guys. suvro
Hi Suvro, I have just come across this thread And joined the forum. Do you still have the clock? If you are interested, I can give you some more information about the maker.

Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
suvro's last post was in 2017. He might not see your post.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Hi Suvro, I have just come across this thread And joined the forum. Do you still have the clock? If you are interested, I can give you some more information about the maker.
Please add your information to the thread as it can be used by any body else researching the name in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank48
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-