J.E. Caldwell & Co, Penn Clock

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
thumbnail (77).jpg thumbnail (78).jpg thumbnail (75).jpg thumbnail (76).jpg My newest purchase is this J.E. Caldwell clock. I can't find out anything about it and to me, its a very unusual clock. Two winding holes to me always meant, a bong on the half hour and then the strike of the hour. This one bongs once at the 1/4, twice at 1/2 and 3 times at the 3/4 time and then on the hour, the hour. Can anyone shed some light on this clock for me - I have no idea how old it is either. As always, thank you all for any help you can provide
Nancy thumbnail (75).jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
View attachment 504908 View attachment 504910 View attachment 504911 View attachment 504912 My newest purchase is this J.E. Caldwell clock. I can't find out anything about it and to me, its a very unusual clock. Two winding holes to me always meant, a bong on the half hour and then the strike of the hour. This one bongs once at the 1/4, twice at 1/2 and 3 times at the 3/4 time and then on the hour, the hour. Can anyone shed some light on this clock for me - I have no idea how old it is either. As always, thank you all for any help you can provide
Nancy View attachment 504909
Nancy,

J. E. Caldwell were a prestigious Philadelphia jeweler that was in existence from around the Civil War to the year 2010 or so.

They purchased clocks from well renowned German, French and English manufacturers. In order to determine who made your clock, we will need to see a better picture of the back of the movement.

At first glance, I would say that your clock was made from 1900 to 1915 or so, but the movement will determine a more accurate dating.

Regards.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
According to the mark on the back plate, your clock was made by Winterhalder & Hofmeier. This was a very prestigious German manufacturer.
I would agree with the earlier estimate of the approximate date.

When it is cleaned and polished you will have a very nice clock which should last you many years.

JTD

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Nancy,

Generally, two winding arbors means that the clock is a time and strike. One spring for the time, one for the strike. This is not always the case, but is a generalization.

From the striking pattern you describe, your clock seems to be a petite sonnerie. By striking once on the quarter hour, you know that it is 15 after, twice, you know that it is 30 after, etc. If your clock is operational, you can watch the striking to see which gong is used for the hour as compared to the quarter hours and become familiar with the sounds of the striking pattern.

Hope this helps.
Pat

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
thank you all for your responses. Now I know more about my clock and I'm very happy with it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravens Watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller