J. Carter Harris Obituary

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Chronos Kairos, Sep 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chronos Kairos

Chronos Kairos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2019
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    In addition to the lovely piece Diana DeLucca wrote in the recent Bulletin, here is what was posted as an obit on the Clyde Kraft Funeral Home site:

James Carter Harris, 74, of Columbia passed away on July 8th, 2020. He was born in Trenton, NJ to the late James, Sr. and Ethel Palmer. James served in the U.S. Navy, was a graduate of William and Mary College and went on to study horology at Bowman Technical School. He continued on to be a watch and clock maker and publish books on horology and also served as a curator for the National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia. James enjoyed model trains and would volunteer at the National Toy Train Museum in Strasburg. [In 2019 he returned to the NAWCC Museum to volunteer his time and expertise while working under interim curator, Al Dodson.]

James leaves behind his three sons, Scott Harris of Richmond, VA, Tyler, husband of Brigette Harris of Harrisburg, Matthew, husband of Ashley Thompson of Wrightsville; two grandchildren, Evan and Cory Harris of Richmond, VA.

James Carter Harris Obit picture.jpg

Steve Patton and S_Owsley like this.
  2. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for sharing.

3. Rich Newman

Rich Newman Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Illinois
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting.
    I looked back in my records and found a letter that Carter wrote back in 2002 when I began researching colonial American watchmakers. He provided information and encouragement to do research and publish what I found. Carter was a "giant" in my mind, the curator of one of the premier museums in the world, a museum & library that I could only hope to visit one day - - but I was able to talk the family into spending an afternoon there when we went on vacation a few years later to show the kids Washington D.C. I was hooked. Funny that one person, one conversation, or one letter can have a lasting impact. Thank you Carter, you are missed.

PatH likes this.
  4. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, Rich. The first time I was in the Library and Research Center looking through Waterbury Watch and Ingersoll materials, I noticed someone coming and going through the area occasionally. I didn't know who Carter was, but he stopped at the table where I was sitting and asked about what I was researching. After chatting a few minutes, he disappeared through the door. Over the next couple of days, he would occasionally come through with some amazing bits that aligned with the topics. With his quiet support, I was able to find see/find items that I would not have known about otherwise. Hopefully we can all learn from Carter, and other interested, helpful folks like him, to help visitors feel welcome and encouraged to join or visit again.