J C Neal

J

JCNEAL

My aunt recently gave me an antique pocket watch. The dial carries the name J.C. Neal. the movement carries the name J.C. Neal Poughkeepsie, N.Y. The case is a Fahys Bristol with a medical insignia below it. I've searched every way from Sunday to find any reference to J.C. Neal. The closest I can come is to track the serial number to an Elgin watch made in the late 19th century. The watch works quite well and I simply want to know about J.C. Neal. I plan to keep the watch and have it cleaned. Anybody know about J.C. Neal?

J

JCNEAL

My aunt recently gave me an antique pocket watch. The dial carries the name J.C. Neal. the movement carries the name J.C. Neal Poughkeepsie, N.Y. The case is a Fahys Bristol with a medical insignia below it. I've searched every way from Sunday to find any reference to J.C. Neal. The closest I can come is to track the serial number to an Elgin watch made in the late 19th century. The watch works quite well and I simply want to know about J.C. Neal. I plan to keep the watch and have it cleaned. Anybody know about J.C. Neal?

J

JCNEAL

Jon -- I don't know how to append a digital image to this forum site but if you have an e-mail address I could send the image as an attachment. If this is too much bother I will understand. It is more out of curiousity to know more about the history of this watch than anything else. George.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Here are the pictures of the Neal private label.

24.jpg
25.jpg

J

JCNEAL

Thanks for posting these for me Tom. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement Dial cover?

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
J.C.:

The dial seems to have a hairline crack, but most of the appearence problem should be solved with a new crystal. Just about any pocket watch repairer ought to be able to fit one to the watch. While you're at it, you might think about getting the watch cleaned and oiled if you're going to be using it. Check out What You Need To Know About Watch Repair at Wayne Schlitt's Elgin Website:
<span class="ev_code_brown">www.midwestcs.com/elgin/help/watch_repair.html</span>
<span class="ev_code_blue">To view, go to the </span><span class="ev_code_brown">Elgin Watch Collectors Site Home Page</span> <span class="ev_code_blue">at</span> <span class="ev_code_brown">elginwatches.com</span>, <span class="ev_code_blue">then copy and paste the address in your browser's address bar and click on </span>'Go'.

The watch movement was made in Switzerland, as is indicated on the pillar plate, just below the rim of the balance wheel. The style of the writing on the barrel bridge is very similar to style used by Longines.

I suppose that you realize the the watch was privately labeled for J.C. Neal, most likely a jewelry store in Poughkeepsie. Just about all the watch companies, including the Swiss firms, would mark both the watch movements and/or the dials in just about any manner for any customer who wished to pay for the service. I don't have any exact references for the costs, but I've heard (read?) that, for some companies, if five or more watches were ordered, there was no charge for marking the movements. Special dials were said to cost 25 or 50 cents each. Some watch manufacturers were more liberal. The Illinois Watch Co. probably produced the largest number of private label watches, but Longines made quite a few also.

So, any further searching for J.C. Neal ought to be done in the Poughkeepsie area. You may find ads for the firm in microfilms of old area newspapers or it may be listed in the old city directories. Both sources may be available in the Poughkeepsie library.

The Fahys Bristol case is a gold-filled, 25-year case, formerly a Brooklyn grade, production was moved to Fahys in about 1907. So, that gives an idea the lower end of when the watch might have been built.

Good luck,
fixme7111936

J

JCNEAL

Thanks, Kent. And thanks to all who responded to my posting. This little adventure into horology has been enlightening and fascinating. I had no idea there was so much to learn, and so many knowledgeable and talented people interested in this field. I salute you all!

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
That movement is an old Longines I would bet.

You can get a new Geneva crystal from any of the good parts houses, or post on the mart and someone will have a glass one perhaps.

Beautiful watch!

Chaz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre