J C Brown

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bruce Barnes, Dec 14, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I recently won this clock at an auction and if it is as nice as it looks it will be a welcome addition.
    I believe Specop has this clock also,and I have seen one other with some gold colored scrolling on the pedestal base.
    Bruce

Attached Files:

2. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice! The tablets with a picture of J.C. Brown's house seem reasonable, as many early tablets were decorated with pictures of fancy houses or other buildings. But to put a picture of yourself on a decorative tablet seems the height of self-adoration. It's as if Steve Jobs had put his image on the cover of every Apple computer instead of the Apple logo.

Nonetheless, 150 years later the tablet is charming and wonderful.

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks for the kind comments Jeremy and i'm not so sure that Mr.Jobs may have contemplated doing thusly.
    The case has the look of refinish but I will no more when it arrives.
    Mr.Brown appears to be a dour looking man..............
    Bruce

Attached Files:

4. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Bruce,

The "dour" look was in the in-thing. Look at all the period images of people - I have never seen one smiling.

Andy Dervan

5. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi Andy,you are absolutely correct,I reviewed some old photos and some of very old family members and they all have a look on their faces as though they had eaten some bad shrimp!!
    Merry Christmas,
    Bruce