• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

IWC Sealand "Boston" model, Calibre 25

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Frederick Francis Seeland (Sealand?) worked for the American Watch Company in their London Office, which is how i recognized the name. I actually have an earlier exported Waltham with his sponsors mark. He left the American Watch Company and took over supervision of the International Watch Company in 1876. He only lasted a few years, being ousted in 1879. He introduced a number of models that mimic the look of American and British full plate movements.

This one is a calibre 25, serial number 36,092. The one shown on Mr. Friedberg's website is 39,262 I believe. IWC Pocket Watch | Seeland! My new one also has the balance cock decorated, but lacks the IWC badging. He mentions this calibre doesn't turn up very often, so that is pretty neat. If you do not know about this website, you should know. It is excellent and packed full of information, images and original catalogs. Many thanks to him for sharing his research!

The case has the sponsor mark of Fritz Pettitpierre, Chester 1878. Mr. Pettitpierre registered his mark on 6/18/78 at 58 Holborn Viaduct in London. (Thank you Mr. Priestly)

David Boettcher has a section on this sponsors mark here:Sponsor's Marks
He notes that FP also had assay marks registered in London and Birmingham. He was a large importer of Swiss watches with connections to his company in Chaux-de-Fonds Switzerland. His partner, A. Castelberg can also be found on sterling IWC watches with British hallmarks. David also has a fantastic section on British hallmarked IWC Sealand watches here. IWC, the International Watch Co.. It seems F. Sealand used this company extensively to assay and import his cased watches. I had no idea of the amount of information on his website until recently when I began looking at English and Swiss watches. It is a fantastic resource! Thanks!

Anyways, enough of my rambling. I found this whole ordeal fascinating and was delighted to find so much great research done by Mr. Friedberg, Mr. Priestly and David Boettcher. It all started because I wanted to try to identify one of my "Swiss Fake" American watches. Now it has led to early machine made watches in general. Standing on the shoulders of giants here with my little forums post. This watch went from "Hey that kinda looks like it might be an IWC" to completely identified in under an hour because of these websites and book.

This movement is in fantastic condition. The case is very good, and the dial has some damage where it was opened to set the time. The minute hand has been replaced. Overall a very welcome addition to the machine made watch pile.

20210908_183055_2.jpg 20210908_183039_2 (1).jpg 20210908_182629_2.jpg 20210908_182539_2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Great Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-