It's a right - hand world

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Marty Rougeaux, Feb 23, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. I happen to be right-handed. (unusual, I know) I wear my watch on the left hand and find it easy to wind and set. But how about the left handed folks that wear it on the other arm? This must be some inconvenience for them? Why don't we make left handed watches?" There must be some of them out there. The only watch co. I can think of that makes right and left crowns is Lumidor. Anybody else? Marty

2. I happen to be right-handed. (unusual, I know) I wear my watch on the left hand and find it easy to wind and set. But how about the left handed folks that wear it on the other arm? This must be some inconvenience for them? Why don't we make left handed watches?" There must be some of them out there. The only watch co. I can think of that makes right and left crowns is Lumidor. Anybody else? Marty

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I once owned a Heuer (not TAG) Autavia with the winding crown at the 9:00 position. This would have been convenient for the left-handed except for the fact that the chronograph push buttons were in the usual position on the 3:00 side of the watch! The manual winding (the watch was automatic) worked backwards! You turned the crown towards you to wind it. Has there ever been a CHRONOGRAPH for the left-handed with ALL the buttons on the 9:00 side?

Doug S.

------------------

4. Damn, Steve - that was some good information. I didn't know that. Actually, I do wind my watch in the morning before I put it on. I guess it's probably a habit caused by that old adage "a wound watch resists, etc,etc." A left handed Rolex? And a Heuer? Do you think these were special order models or do they make some number of these each year? Marty

5. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Registered User

Sep 1, 2000
    Gents,
    I can't remember the caliber but Gruen sold mens watches meant for the right arm.
    I seem to remember working on one back in the 60's or so.
    JS

6. Mary, Steve, Doug:

Let's think about this: I own a Seiko kinetic (I would rely on nothing but a
    Seiko on my arm from using one in Vietnam). It never needs winding or charging but the
    stem(s) button are at the 3 and 2 respectively. I would call that a left handed watch because I would much, much prefer having it at the 9 so it does not
    dig into the back of my hand. So why are most watches left handed watches, Marty?

"Don't squat with your spurs on"

Dan