ITR master clock, tag gone, model? date?

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Jim Hartog, May 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

I recently picked up an ITR master clock that has its model number/serial number tag missing. Would someone give me a model number/letter and an approximate date of manufacture based on the information below. Ask questions if more detail is needed.

The clock came out of Gamewell in Toronto, a company that produced fire alarm boxes. The clock is running but needs a service. Not my usual, but I will leave the case and brass grungy. Something inside me will make me touch up the case (paint specks, scuffs) Since the cables are the long ones and frayed a bit, I am hoping to shorten the cables to get rid of the frayed sections and also stop the weights and pendulum from contacting each other as the weights run down with the electrical feed interrupted.

The numbers with the description refer to the photos attached.

1. quarter cut, white oak case, Corbin locks, there may have been more to the bottom

2. dial with scripted numerals, larger version of subseconds dial

3. brass beat scale, note two holes where longer style id tag used to be

4. the "360" that is stamped into the case (left, bottom, inside)

5. mechanicals with no peripherals (were removed by previous owner, a Simplex employee)

6. movement with no "ITR" stamp, later style anchor adjustment

7. motor with two oilers and rubber mounts, AC motor NP 21163, model no. 23225 CF, type SDA, freq 305, HP 1/70, V 110, cycles 60, phase 1, rpm 3000

8. black painted pulley (with stress fractures!!), older style contact limit switch, newer style cable drum assembly with the 1/4" shaft (no loose bearings??, I hope!)

There is also a 35-7 and a 16-7 in my basement. This looks a lot like the 16-7 but with the brass beat scale, brass covered weights, brass covered lenticular style bob, and other early features.

Jim

P1020307.JPG P1020308.JPG P1020310.JPG P1020311.JPG P1020312.JPG P1020313.JPG P1020314.JPG P1020315.JPG

Kevin W. likes this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice clock Jim, very similar to mine. Some differences, brass covered weights, i have the old style contact switch and also other similarities. Its been well cared for, looks to be in great shape.

3. Jim Andrews

Jim Andrews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Oklahoma panhandle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jim, this clock movement sure looks like it was well cared for, clean and the slotted screw heads look pretty good. The adjustment for up and down on the pallets, mine is pretty much all the way down.

5. Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Jim (Andrews)

Nothing there that shows my clock. My model/serial number tag is missing.

Jim

Kevin W. likes this.
  6. Scot Traffis

Scot Traffis Registered User

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    your clock is a model 16 with a wood stick and bob pendulum

Kevin W. likes this.
  7. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    There is a guy name Detrich/Dietrich who has several shorts on you tube one of them has many clues, such as type pulley etc on dating the clock you are inquiring about. He has done well researched good quality videos which I believe will help you.
    Paradise

8. Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Scott. Okay, Model 16.

Hello Paradise. I've seen the Dave Dietrich YouTube videos and explored his website. I should probably send him an email with my list of characteristics and have him venture an opinion. Most of the characteristics that I choose to list were from his website (two motor oilers versis one, for example).

Jim