ITR lantern pinion loose - need suggestions please

EBourne

Jan 17, 2021
Country
I have a 1923 International Time Recorder Clock that I purchased and am trying to make functional (at least the clock part). It turns out that it was electrified at some point with a Telechron B3 motor. It did not run so I have purchased a replacement motor and it fits nicely. My issue is that the lantern pinion (in good shape) seems to be a touch loose on the arbor from the new motor. The arbor spins but nothing else turns. I can’t seem to find any information about how to keep it from spinning and I am reluctant to just super glue it. Does anyone have a recommendation? I appreciate any help. I am a newby.

EA52E079-A495-47FE-A3F2-222F2C13ECDE.jpeg 1E149EF3-0961-46D8-A3A6-52E9AE86DED9.jpeg A8FF5A11-F14E-422C-9EA1-6B3178FA3AE4.jpeg

EBourne

Jan 17, 2021
Country
Thank you for the response. I looked at the thread you mentioned. I think my lantern pinion is in good shape - the trundles are all straight with no sign of wear. I like the sleeve idea but I think it is too tight to fit something in there. Anything thin enough would probably crumple up I think.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I wasn't commenting on the shape of your pinion. More about the fact that these things compress if you try to rivet or pean them. Each brass boss needs to be tighter on the shaft but they still need to operate the way a lantern pinion does. So basically you have to enlarge the shaft or shrink the holes in the two pieces of brass. Roughing up the shaft and tightening the holes in the pinion bosses will work but the lantern pinion basically needs to be dismantled so that you can work on the brass bits. Otherwise you'll have to find a way to build up the shaft.
Alternatively, seek ye a similar solid brass pinion that fits the shaft and the wheel it connects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UltraTitan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller