• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Ithaca weight driven Grandfather clock.Aquired at auction.

dave@sidehill

Feb 10, 2013
My first post, have patience... Anyone out there know what kind of movements Ithaca used? This one has 2 weights and is unmarked, case is cherry & in really good shape.Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
Re: Ithaca weight drinven Grandfather clock.Aquired at auction.

My first post, have patience... Anyone out there know what kind of movements Ithaca used? This one has 2 weights and is unmarked, case is cherry & in really good shape.Any information would be appreciated.

Ithaca outsourced alot, so we couldn't tell you much unless you provide a pictures of the clock and the front and back of the movement

dave@sidehill

Feb 10, 2013
Ithaca Grandfather clock pictures

I thank bangster, tutorial was great! Got busy and didn't post picts, but here they are. The chains have 39 links per foot, and are flat . No date on right side under face pl. Must thank the other guys( &gals) for the other posts on Ithacas... 100_0467.jpg 100_0461.jpg 100_0469.jpg 100_0463.jpg Clock on right is the one in question, sorry for bad pict. but clock is 88" I am64"...

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
Re: Ithaca Grandfather clock pictures

See the other Ithaca threads- there is usually a date stenciled in the bonnet. Ithaca used New Haven Ladder chain movements, and some from Waterbury. They also had an arrangement with Gilbert. Yours appears to be a New Haven movement. See Tran Duy Ly's book Longcase Clocks and Standing Regulators for more information, along with other threads here on the message board.

Last edited:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country

As Peter said, definitely a New Haven movement. Tran Duy Ly's book on New Haven clocks shows the same movement on page 191, from New Haven's Hall Clock No. 1, ca. 1915. (Note: I'm not saying your clock is a New Haven; it is definitely Ithaca, with a New Haven movement.)

dave@sidehill

Feb 10, 2013

Thanks Guys,now I know the movement, and probably date of manufacture.
Dave@Sidehill

Rob P.

Dec 19, 2011
California
Country
Region

Holy smokes! You got that at an auction?

Around here, what is usually advertised at auctions as an "antique clock" is a 1985 electric alarm clock. That needs a new plug. Which someone somehow thinks is worth $3000 but is "untested."

Actual antique clocks tend to sell for millions of dollars (ok, not really millions but certainly out of MY price range) and often don't run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farkastibor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-