Ithaca Calendar Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Jeff Hantman, Aug 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff Hantman

Jeff Hantman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My Calendar isn't changing by itself
    Had the movement serviced, any idea what's off

20190810_103631.jpg 20190810_110225.jpg 20190810_111031.jpg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    odds are you need to adjust the trip lever height... you can easily check this by tripping the lever manually. If the calendar movement increments reliably, and then it’s just getting it adjusted right

3. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The recommendation is DO NOT oil the calendar unit, just in case the thought came that oil might help. What Bruce said - adjust the linkage for the correct lift and drop.

RC

4. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The lift rod coming down from the clock movement has to attach to the calendar mvt through the little tab sticking out to the left and not to the lift rod for the calendar, then some adjustments to get proper lift.

5. TooManyClocks

TooManyClocks Registered User

Feb 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    As stated above, the rod that attaches to the calendar mechanism needs to be attached to the tab in the middle, not in the unique way it’s attached to the rod to the right in your photo. The rod is held in place by a washer and a tapered pin. See the photo of my clock attached below. Mine has an E N Welch movement, which is different than yours, but the cams and adjustments are the same.

The nuts on the pull bar that the calendar rods attach to need to be set up in the manner shown in these photos; i can’t tell from your photo how the ones on your clock are arranged. This is more critical than it seems. Go to Ithaca Calendar Clock Company | Clock Repair Services. On that page is a image of the written directions to set up the calendar mechanism. Once you set up the linkage exactly according to these directions, the calendar will work, assuming the calendar mechanism has no issues itself that need addressed.

What my photos can’t show is the proper amount of slack in the drive rods. The directions on the above link will deal with that.

Also the apparent bend in the calendar drive rod from the cam on the movement to the calendar mechanism is suspect. It should be straight.

John

(The strike side mainspring is unwound, not broken on my clock. None of the clocks in my house are allowed to strike. This keeps the peace around here!):)

02B094F1-385D-459A-97D9-18AFC7303914.jpeg 7EBE1F1D-4955-4D14-8C9B-65C2CB789E87.jpeg C16DB380-F980-4AE0-A711-57EC3F8AB946.jpeg