Items found in clocks

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by THTanner, Mar 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. musicguy

musicguy Registered User

Jan 12, 2017
    I am having a lot fun reading through this thread. Keep posting!!
    My father gave me a Junghans German Wall clock(late 19th century). He always kept stuff inside the clock.
    When he gave it to me, strangely it had a bunch of chiquita banana stickers
    inside it (from countries around the world, I remember him collecting them). I keep a few guitar pick in it now,
    and the Chiquita banana stickers are still there.

Rob

[​IMG]

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

2. stewey

stewey Registered User

Dec 20, 2012
    Musicguy, perhaps your father used banana oil to lubricate the movement.Nutjob

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    Several years ago, after someone mentioned that his neighbor cleaned his clock by dipping a chicken feather in kerosene and rubbing it on the pivots, I mentioned that I like to just dip the whole chicken in kerosene and let it loose in the case. This thread was born from that comment.

4. THTanner

THTanner Registered User

Jul 3, 2016
    If you use banana peel instead of leather in the hammers you get a very Mellow Yellow sound according to Donovan ;)

5. musicguy

musicguy Registered User

Jan 12, 2017
    :chuckling:

6. ragobo

ragobo Registered User

Apr 14, 2015
    Yes, I started that one very similar to this one.

7. jpbaun_clock_service

jpbaun_clock_service Registered User

Jun 18, 2011
    #27 jpbaun_clock_service, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    About 2 years back my Daughter found a saved human molar (tooth) and a small glass vial labeled as Black Leg serum in the bottom of a 30 day cottage clock. They were stuck in the gap between the lower front case and the case bottom. Those were returned with the clock, shown to the owners and tucked back into the case as they had been for some time, although without as much lint.

I have seen a nice hand built "German Box Clock" style wall clock that rotates out a security style pump shotgun when a portion of the side case is manipulated... Glad the owner didn't think I overcharged or anything. Kind of took me by surprise when it was demonstrated, it was very clever and looked well made.

8. jpbaun_clock_service

jpbaun_clock_service Registered User

Jun 18, 2011
    Took the back board of a Black columned mantle clock to investigate it's condition today & found what looks like mouse poison inside, reminded me of Hickory Dickery Doc, Mouse won't revisit this clock.
    4" dia. round hole in the back board, with no provision for a cover evident.

9. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    I have found the occasional interesting source for bits that people have used to repair clocks. Bits of printed tin can for instance.

I have been looking for a bracket clock for a while and the nearest I have got is the use of bracket clock mounting straps to form stirrups for gut pulleys and movement mounts for longcase.

[​IMG]

10. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User

Feb 22, 2013
    Maybe somebody hid the glasses from their sibling or parent and forgot they did it or was to scared to tell dad that they did it.

11. owen.or

owen.or Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    I found this note on the wooden dial support of my Seth Thomas Regulator #1: “This clock was given To Mr. & Mrs. Theo Scholer (or Schaler?) Medical Lake Wash. about 1890 By Rev. Cushing Eells one of the Whitman party of missionaries”

Cushing Eells was the founder of Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington.
    https://www.whitman.edu/alumni/be-connected/whitman-traditions/founder-cushing-eells

David, Owen.or

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

12. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Nice clock. I think the name in the dedication is Theo Schafer, but I may be wrong.

JTD

13. THTanner

THTanner Registered User

Jul 3, 2016
    Very nice clock and what a wonderful note.

14. RAK

RAK Registered User

Jun 22, 2004
    I have been in "temporary housing" for three years now so looking at 95% of my clock collection has consisted of opening a large storage closet, staring at a stack of boxes... saying to myself "yup, they're still there" and closing said closet. Finally our new digs have been completed and I have been able to start unpacking and hanging my collection. I just finished hanging one of the few larger "regulators" I have (actually just a New Haven 8 day spring wound affair in a 5 ft. tall case) and when I looked in the bottom of the case I had to chuckle. There were two small circular labels for "GENESEE VALLEY RYE"; one red and one blue. Now according to an ad in The Geneva Daily Times newspaper from 1902, GENESEE VALLEY RYE sold for 50c a pint; $1 a quart; and $3 a gallon. I thought to myself, what a great place to hide your pint bottle for those cold winter days in upstate New York :chuckling: Bob

15. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    In the early 1990's I bought a Seth Thomas tall case clock from a local collector this clock had door on the base. At home setting up the clock I found an envelope with a list of items the previous owner had sold to an antique dealer many years ago along with the $2500.00 she got for the items. I returned the money the next day, she had no idea the money was their. I bought more clocks from her over time at very good prices, definetly paid to be honest.