Deck Watch: Italian Navy Lemania

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by River rat, Apr 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #1 River rat, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    I really did not know were to post this it could be used for navigation or as a clock or mite be considered a pocket watch. Been trying to do a deal on this for a few months had a forum member from another forum who's in Italy call and check the seller out and felt it was a fair deal should get it in a few weeks if every thing goes right. Been wanting to get a naval time piece from every Navy allied and axis from WW2 only one left is England. This is rare only ever seen a few for sell if any one here can give me more info on it would be great not much on line except ones that sold at auction and the info different and price value different on each auction hoping it's from WW2. One thing different is other ones I seen on line for sale had B.C.G. under the Lemania logo on the dial this one don't. Any one know what B.C.G. stands for.
    DSCF8703_zpse5xhjsxw.jpg
    DSCF8682_zpsdylotfcq.jpg
    DSCF8681_zpsxnp8jiwh.jpg

2. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
  3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Let us imagine a scenario, commissioned by the British Consular General. If there was such a circumstance.

4. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    One that sold a Bonhams auction but with out outer case.
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17938/lot/36/

5. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #6 River rat, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    I posted it over at the German military watch forum were there is a Italian military watch section but that forum king of slow these days. Did do a search and found one like mine. Here is the info I found.

IIM in its nature is similar to the US Naval Observatory or other institutions and among their tasks there is the delivery of calibrated watches and clocks to military ships unfortunately not in redundant quantities but rather in very limited number therefore their rarity...
    And also it movement caliber LEMANIA 1520

And from a Military watch book it said Istituto Idrografiico della Marina stands for Navy Hydrographical Institute.

I guess these are rare since not many produced. Any one got any more info that's why I posted it here and why I am a NAWCC member joined it to learn.

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recall reading several years ago that the U.S. Navy ordered it's first Torpedo Boat watches from Auricoste. I have a couple of fragments of timers signed Auricoste. I would like to know more about their story.

7. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #8 River rat, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use the Chrome browser and when I visit a site in a language I do not read, I click on the symbol that shows up on the right of the address field and Google translates it into English. I tried Edge, Firefox and Opera also and none of them showed the translate function. I think you can go to Google/translate in any browser and enter the name of the site you want to translate but I have not checked that.

9. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Here you go
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=www.vintage-time.de/index.php/Thread/7216-Longines-und-Lemania-ISTITUTO-IDROGRAFICO-R-MARINA

10. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Have any one ever had clearance hold from FedEx because they goofed on the value. Any thing over 2500 needs some code like the seller a dealer or the buyers social security number plus jewel count, type of movement mechanical or battery operated and case type and country made and brand. This put it in customs hold
    Needing Importer EIN for a Company or SSN for individual due to the value being over 2500 USD

Once I called FedEx let them know the value was lower . So had to tell them jewel count there's no info on the net about jewel count I did a guess then value of movement and case then they released it from customs jail. Should get delivered tomorrow any one else ever go through some thing like this. There was no way I was telling them my social security number.

11. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In my opinion FedEx engages in deceptive business packages with respect to their relationship with the U.S. Customs Service. They remove packages that are clearly marked to not require customs inspection. They then demand additional documentation and send the package to Customs for inspection. As often as not the person at customs is able to read and returns the package without action. FedEx then charges you for the service they have just performed which was not required or wanted.

Most people just pay and charge it as an educational expense.

The U.S. Postal Service cooperating agents such Royal Mail are much more reliable despite all the advertising the commercial shippers run to the contrary.

12. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Tom your right using another country's local mail were it is transferred to USPS after it reaches the USA is better never had a problem mite stay in customs longer but gets released with out me having to do any thing. But the stories I heard about Italian mail system were stuff disappears is why I went FedEx. One time years ago I bought a new watch from Stowa in Germany they ship FedEx after I received the watch I get a tax bill from FedEx never used them since if I could help it.

13. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Well received it today it's in great shape all most perfect condition.
    DSC_0057_zpsmqe243g0.jpg

DSC_0047_zpssnyyflpt.jpg

DSC_0034_zpstjzsj2as.jpg

DSC_0036_zps4vgr3wfs.jpg

DSC_0044_zpsx9bcex2s.jpg

DSC_0056_zpssknbe9bc.jpg

DSCF8688_zpsnsvmy7ea.jpg
    This movement shot was the sellers did not want to scratch the case.

14. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is interesting that the center second is driven from the 4th wheel and idler rather than directly from the 3rd wheel. That is the second example of this design I have seen the last week. I wonder if they thought that way was better, or just could not do the calculation for the big wheel and pinion? :)

15. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Think I got the date of manufacture down a member on the Omega forum there's a unique watch section there this is defiantly unique said it was made between 1953-1955 from the serial numbers then I saw a French navy Auricoste deck watch with same Lemania movement with decom papers on the net the French are good with paper with issued date 1954 on the paper work so made some time in the 1950's was hoping it was from the WW2 era.

16. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #17 River rat, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    For a better ID if some one comes across one of these here is a close up shot of the military issue mark on the dial for the Italian Navy
    DSC_0039%202_zps3eay1sbk.jpg

And I mounted it on a wooden plaque for hanging it on the wall came out nice. Not many deck watches you can do this to.
    DSC_0075_zpsqktf1dk2.jpg

17. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    I sent off a email to the NAWCC research with all the info I know I am stumped like when this movement was manufactured the jewel count the movement caliber if it was used for navigation or any thing more than I know. They do got a big selection of books were they just mite have something on this or another military watch collector they can contact who knows more info on it. We will see if there stumped to. I guess it cost a little money for the info will be worth it if they find more info I did not know about.

18. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
  19. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Going to be dropping this off for service this week since I got to pick up my Seikosha Japanese WW2 Navy ships clock. I will ask how many jewels this has. Does any one know were I can pick up rubber gasket material were you cut and make your own gaskets it's missing in the outer mounting case of the bezel ring. In the Navy we use to have rolls of it to make our own for equipment but this would have to be thinner. Would be easy to do if I could find the right size.

20. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #21 River rat, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Well I got to send it off for service my local watchmaker did not want to touch it said it was a clock he don't do clocks. It's about the size of a 18 size pocket watch movement maybe a touch bigger but not much to me it's a pocket watch movement in a over sized case I really like doing things local and not shipping stuff off. But the guy I am sending it off to service it did service a few of the French Navy version with the same movement I figure if I am going to run it every day I should have it checked out even if the movement looks clean could of been sitting a long time dried oil and all. Is running a little fast so if it checks out OK it needs adjusting. I got guts to pop the back cover some better shots of the movement.
    DSC_0106_zpshqvdmjym.jpg

DSC_0102%202_zps2sifny9r.jpg

DSC_0097_zpsfh4q2qhw.jpg

This surprised me a crystal cover over the movement probably for weather protection ? It looks like it was original part of the case.