It this a Kern & Link?

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Hello,

This is the latest arrival. It has no markings on the plates.

The dial bezel took a hit a "3" some time ago, but it looks to be in good shape overall. Good old dome too.

Plate 1667? Age?

Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
I guess so. Attached are images of a similar clock, which I know is Kern & Link or pre K&S. CIMG1045.JPG CIMG1046.JPG CIMG1047.JPG

Kern and Link started 1929, finished 1932, but I understand Kern continued on his own till forming Kern & Sohne in 1937. From my knowledge the clock could have been made any time from 1929 to very early post WW2.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
For sure it's a Kern. However, the plate could be either Kern and Sohne or Kern and Link. I'm leaning toward plate 1667, Kern and Link.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
IMO it is an unmarked Kern & Söhne made after WWII, likely 1948-1955. We know there are such, recently discussed a "Pope Clock" here that was made by Kern and has an unmarked back plate. See Is it a Kern & Sohne.

A key reason for this conclusion is the use of the embossed movement support posts that do not show up on Kern clocks until after WWII and certainly not on any Kern & Link clock; all these had smooth posts.

The Repair Guide should have a correction to Plate 1667 stating it was used by Kern & Link 1929-1937 and by Kern & Söhne 1937-1950's. See following.

Regarding Kern & Link, Les posted:
Kern and Link started 1929, finished 1932, but I understand Kern continued on his own till forming Kern & Sohne in 1937. From my knowledge the clock could have been made any time from 1929 to very early post WW2.
Recent (last couple of years) research has confirmed that Kern & Link did start up in 1929, when Adolph Kern and Johann Link purchased the Kienzle 400-Day clock operation including machinery and designs, etc. However, contrary to prior info Kern continued to operate the Kern & Link business as sole owner with no name change after Link departed in 1932, and then restructured it to become Kern & Söhne in 1937 bringing his sons into the business. There is a 1936 ad for Kern & Link clocks that was posted by Zep in 2010, when I find it I'll post here for info. Thus Kern & Link clocks can definitively be said to be made from 1929 to early 1937, after that they were Kern & Söhne. Through all this the identical movement design was used as well as pendulum and many other common parts.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
A key reason for this conclusion is the use of the embossed movement support posts that do not show up on Kern clocks until after WWII and certainly not on any Kern & Link clock; all these had smooth posts.
That's a good characteristic to recognize. When compared side by side to the posts on my 1950s Schatz clocks, they look like they could have came from the same machines.

I also wonder when the did the floral wreath dials became popular, or rather start showing up in production?

I shall update my repair guide!

Thanks to all,

Eric

any400day

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Singapore
www.pasttimesclocks.com
Country
Recent (last couple of years) research has confirmed that Kern & Link did start up in 1929, when Adolph Kern and Johann Link purchased the Kienzle 400-Day clock operation including machinery and designs, etc. However, contrary to prior info Kern continued to operate the Kern & Link business as sole owner with no name change after Link departed in 1932, and then restructured it to become Kern & Söhne in 1937 bringing his sons into the business. There is a 1936 ad for Kern & Link clocks that was posted by Zep in 2010, when I find it I'll post here for info. Thus Kern & Link clocks can definitively be said to be made from 1929 to early 1937, after that they were Kern & Söhne. Through all this the identical movement design was used as well as pendulum and many other common parts.
John,
Is this the ad that you are refering to?

Vic

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Vic, thanks for the link and for refreshing my memory! That's the ad, that you posted a year earlier than I had remembered seeing it. I think the confusion with Zep is that he advised me subsequent to seeing this ad that business directories show Kern & Link (1929), J. Link & Co. (1932) and Kern & Söhne (1937) but did not find "Kern Uhrenfabrik" in any reference. It is still unclear exactly what happened to the Kern & Link operation from 1932 to 1937 however the ad shows they were in business and making 400-Day clocks in 1936. Kern's history indicates that Link was "not" associated with any Kern operation after 1932 and the info found in Schmid's "Lexikon" is supportive of that. However, there appears to be some merging of info and names between the three companies in the Lexikon that needs further review.

One thing we do know is that the clocks made by Kern & Söhne after 1937 were identical in all respects to the Kern & Link clocks. Also, there is no clear evidence that J. Link & Co. actually made any 400-Day clocks until 1952 as reported by Terwilliger in the Repair Guide. He had first hand knowledge as a supplier of Horolovar suspension springs to Link (aka Linco). J. Link & Co. went out of business in 1957.

All this led to my conclusion that Kern continued operating Kern & Link until he formed Kern & Söhne in 1937, even though Schmid says Kern "resumed the company (referring to Kern & Link) under the name Kern". As noted above no company with just the "Kern" name has been identified, hopefully in the near future we will be able to uncover better info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller