It started out as Geanealogy research

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jim_Miller, Oct 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a nephew-in-law who lives in Vermont. One day I was looking through my "American Clockmakers & Watchmakers" book ( Vol#3 ) and noticed a clockmaker named L. Amidon, which happens to be my relatives last name. In looking on Ancestry.com, I found a listing for L. Amidon who lived in Bellows Falls Vermont in 1860. According to " U.S.Craftperson 1600-1995" info on this site, his occupation was listed as "watchmaker". I'm wondering if any watch guys out there have ever heard of him. Did he make any watches that are known, or possibly did he work for a better known watch company. Any information would be appreciated.

Jim

2. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

As of 1860 the large majority of watchmakers were persons who had the necessary skill to repair and service watches, and maybe make parts as necessary. Most every jewelry store who sold watches had their own "watchmaker" if not the store owner himself. There were a few who did make watches of their own, but many of these also started with parts from the larger manufacturers, or from manufacturers who specialized in making unfinished "ebauches" for the watchmaker to add to and / or finish. Many more could have made their own watches from "scratch", but by that time they'd been hard pressed to compete with the larger makers. With that said, he could have been part of the small set of persons who made watches of their own, but I'm not aware of any from L. Amidon.

Clockmakers who made their own mechanisms and complete clocks seem to have been more plentiful through that period.

3. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Dave, I appreciate the response

Jim

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I went in a little further in Ancestry, found his name was Leander Amidon. In the 1860's IRS tax records he is listed as a retail dealer. In 1870 he was 52 years of age in Rockingham, Windham, VT, post office Bellows Falls, listed as a watchmaker with wife Sarah, 44, son Fred, 18, daughter Alice 14 and son Henry 11.

5. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks richiec for this information. Based on this it appears that he didn't actually make anyway he's under his own name. It seems I have more digging to do.

Jim

6. Joeydeluxed

Joeydeluxed Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 3, 2007
    #6 Joeydeluxed, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Jim I made an offer on an L Amidon (Amadon) clock just yesterday. It's a silver dialed astronomical regulator in a drum head style case similar to a Howard model #23. The signature almost appears to be spelled Amadon and is also engraved with the place of Bellows Falls, VT. My guess would date it about 1865 +/- . Haven't bought it yet but there's a chance it may still happen. The present owner who's extremely knowledgeable and I agree that it appears to have been made by B.D. Bingham of New Hampshire. I've had dozens of true jewelers regulators and have seen many of them signed by a jeweler rather than the actual maker. Does any of this sound familiar?

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Joey, none of that sounds familiar, but gives me more info to explore, thanks.

Tom, nice clock.

Jim

9. Joeydeluxed

Joeydeluxed Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 3, 2007
    The name on the dial is clearly spelled Amadon which is strange as the books list his name as Amidon.